What To Do If You Cant Get The Domain Name You Want
Its not always possible to get the domain name you want. What should you do then?
- It might be unavailable or parked. You can contact the owner and make them an offer. Alternatively, you can modify your domain name by adding a word to it. For example, if you are using your product name, consider adding the word get to it, as Drip did with www.getdrip.com.
- It might be outside your budget. You can significantly reduce the cost of your domain name by choosing a less popular domain extension. Just dont go overboard with this. A whacky extension that no one has ever seen before might hurt your brand.
- It might be trademarked, like WordPress. When thats the case its best to just drop the idea and go back to the drawing board. Dont play with fire if you dont want to get burned.
Yes, its really annoying when you cant get a domain name that you want, but your only option is to get creative. And who knows, maybe youll come up with something even better?
Hire A Freelancer To Make A Small Business Site
Hiring a freelancer makes sense if you dont have anyone in-house to deal with your website .
WordPress developers charge around $60-$80 per hour. A small business website will take roughly 50-100 hours to develop, so the total will round up to $3,000-$5,000. Thats without factoring in other costs such as a website theme/template or builder subscription, hosting plan, domain name, and premium plug-ins.
- Get a professional, on-brand website with all the features you need
- No need to hire a new employee or re-train an existing one
- Longer development timeline if you need advanced features or cannot provide good specs
- You may need to pay for a website theme or design separately unless you partner with a full-stack developer
- Schedule extra time for teaching your team how to use the new website
Virtual Private Server: Vps Hosting
Virtual private server hosting is another popular type of web hosting service you can consider for your powering your site. Using virtualization technology, VPS hosting creates an environment that mimics dedicated servers, but within a shared hosting setup.
In essence, VPS hosting is a hybrid between shared and dedicated hosting.
Pros of VPS Hosting
Being a hybrid hosting solution, VPS hosting has several advantages, some of which include:
- Faster and more reliable
- Easy to scale as your traffic grows
Cons of VPS Hosting
Its really difficult to fault VPS hosting, as it brings together the best of both worlds. However, nothing is perfect. Here are some imperfections youll have to live with if you opt for VPS hosting:
- More expensive than shared hosting
- Requires more technical knowledge to manage
- Performance can be affected if your site exceeds resource allocations
VPS hosting is perfect for websites that have exceeded the traffic limits of shared hosting plans, yet still dont need all the resources and costs of a dedicated server. Its also great for small businesses and websites that need higher levels of security and better stability right from the start.
Read Also: How To Get Business Domain Email
What Does Domain Name Registration Cost With Godaddy
GoDaddy is currently one of the most popular domain registrar in the world today. For as low as $14.99/year, you can have your .com domain registered and on top of that, they offer free web redirection, a web interface, page parking, a starter web page and so much more in the package. Check here for our GoDaddy review.
Can I Get A Domain For Free
If youre just testing out an idea and messing around with building a website, most of the big DIY website builders offer free plans. You can even get a domain name, but it will look something like this:
If you want to share your website, blog, or ecommerce store with the world, the risk of relying on these free subdomains could mean losing creditably from your website visitors and potential customers. Compare that to the more professional and simple like, yourwebsite.ca.
Read Also: Gulftel Webmail
Google Discounts Pixel 6 Nest & Pixel Buds In Limited
However, with 2 billion websites in existence, it can be difficult to find or create a relevant, high-quality domain that isn’t already in use or doesn’t infringe on another website’s URL.
Domain cost will also vary depending on the domain extension, your domain registrar, your domain renewal length and local fees incurred.
Additional Domain Costs
Renewal pricing: Many web hosting and domain name providers offer a special rate for the first year as an incentive to sign up with them. But domain names have to be renewed, and these prices usually increase after the first year. The average renewal price for a .com domain is between $8.27 and $29.99 per year. If you want to lock in a price on your domain name, you can pay for multiple years upfront. With most domain registrars, you can prepay for a domain for up to 10 years.
Having your domain listed publicly could lead to future opportunities and partnerships, but when your contact information is readily accessible, you might also receive unwanted spam and emails. Domain privacy is often available as an add-on feature that hides your private information. Some registrars offer this service for free, but pricing will vary depending on your provider.
Premium Domain Names Are High Cost, High Value
You Want To Use It As An Investment
Buying domain names for investment purposes was more common in the early days of the internet, when there were more .coms with popular keywords still available to claim. Now that most are taken, its hard to find domains at a good price that make a solid investment. Nonetheless, if you think you have the skill spot a domain name likely to go up in value, you can buy it now in the hopes of selling it later.
Read Also: How To Get A .io Domain
Can I Cancel Wix If I Decide To Use A Different Platform
Yes, while you save more with Wix by signing up for a yearly plan and paying up front, you can cancel your Wix account at any time if you want.
In fact, cancelling a Wix premium plan can easily be done from within your account under Billing & Payment. Just click the Cancel payments link next to Next payment. Thats all there is to it.
Why Does Seo Matter
As 80 percent of shoppers start their product research online, SEO matters. From a consumer perspective, a company that doesnt appear in search results doesnt exist. That massively decreases your chances of turning that shopper into a customer.
Another reason why SEO matters? Around 75 percent of users remain on the first page of search results. If your website doesnt appear on that initial page, you reach a much smaller audience, which impacts your bottom line.
Thats why SEO is essential for offline and online businesses. It helps users find your company.
Also Check: What Is The Io Domain Used For
Tld Of The Domain Name
A top-level domain is a domain extension. A domain name costs will vary with different TLDs because some extensions are more popular than others.
To demonstrate, Hostinger offers a website name with .com as the extension for $8.99/year. However, the same website name using the extension .xyz or .online will cost $0.99/year.
As .com and .net are popular extensions, their prices tend to be more expensive. The benefit of using a more popular extension is to drive higher organic traffic since users often write these popular extensions by default. Visitors also tend to feel safer visiting a site with a more known extension since such a site does not look like a scam.
However, using a less popular extension, such as .online, can make a domain more unique. With the number of new websites created daily, the popularity of an extension might shift in the future.
A TLD also gives visitors more information on a website, so its essential to set a website domain name with the right extension. For example, a c code TLD tells the websites location. Non-profit organizations usually use .org, and most educational institutions use .edu.
Namecheap $399 699 + Free Lifetime Privacy Protection
You all know how complicated some of these domain registrars can be. And no one really wants to have to deal with that! Luckily, Namecheap has made a name for itself for its simple services and pocket-friendly prices.
The hosts rates range from $0.88 per year for domains such as .us, .men, .faith, and .cricket to $8.88 per year or domains such as .com. However, there are more costly domains that cost up to $2,488 per year for domains such as .security. In addition, the company also offers additional features like free domain parking, free email forwarding, and free web redirection.
Recommended Reading: Transfer Domain From Wix To Squarespace
How Much Do Premium Domains Cost And What Drives Their Value
CEO, VPN.com: The $1M Domain Name – We help brands, Entrepreneurs, politicians and athletes acquire premium domain names for their vision.
A domain name is a direct reflection of your business or brand. The right domain can drive people to your website and help you rank higher in search engines.
But how much does one cost?
If you’ve ever registered a domain name, you know that they can vary in price. There are a host of factors that determine the cost, including SEO viability, current market trends and the web extension .
Let’s take a closer look at the cost of domain names and what drives their value.
Unused Domain Names Are Very Affordable
To put a website online, you need to have both a domain name and website hosting. You can usually purchase an unused domain and hosting for less than $15. Some companies even bundle a free domain name with the purchase of web hosting.
Bluehost $999 Free With Hosting Plan
If you are using WordPress as your website platform , Bluehost is far and way the cheapest domain name registrar. Though BH customer support isnt quite up to par with SiteGround , they offer cheap hosting starting from $2.95 per month or as low as $12.99 per year.
On top of that, Bluehost also offers Domain Privacy Protection and a custom email with G suite. Like SiteGround, the most affordable hosting packages all come with a free domain bringing the cost down to effectively nil.
Recommended Reading: Where To Sell Domain Names For Profit
How Much Does A Premium Domain Name Cost
Premium domain names are domains that are already registered and are up for sale on a domain aftermarket service. The price for premium domain names can vary widely, depending on the current demand. As such, the pricing can range from a 3-figure number up to a 7-figure number.
When it comes to choosing a domain name, there are a few things to consider:
Additional Services For The Shared Hosting
If you want to lock your domain name for security and block hackers from transferring it, you can use their Domain Lock that costs $1.67 per month and billed annually for $19.99 per year.
If you want to get the Pro backup, then, the price is $2.99/month, billed to the end of your hosting plan. This pro backup lets you save an automatic version of your website, and you can download it in a Zipped version, and best of all you can restore your website with a single click.
The Bluehost SSL Certificates cost $49.00 per year, it is necessary for e-commerce websites, but you do not need it for a blog or regular site.
Also Check: 866-731-6556
Where Can I Buy A Domain Name
There are plenty of domain name registrars out there, but only a few are worth your consideration:
- Domain.com offers a huge range of TLDs and ccTLDs
- HostGator is both a domain registrar and a hosting company, and allows you to purchase these services together as a bundle
- GoDaddy one of the best-known domain registrars around, plus its also a hosting provider
You can also buy a domain name through a website builder. Website builders are platforms that help beginners set up professional websites, without having to know any code. When you sign up with a website builder, the domain registration process is integrated as part of that sign up making it a perfect option for beginners!
Considerations Before You Buy A Domain Through Shopify
Before you buy a domain through Shopify, review the following considerations:
- Email hosting services aren’t provided on Shopify. Instead, you can connect your Shopify-managed domain to a third-party email hosting service.
- Some domain extensions include WHOIS privacy, which is a service that keeps your personal contact information hidden from public domain registration records. If you want WHOIS privacy, then make sure that your domain extension isn’t on the WHOIS exceptions list.
- Some domain extensions have specific residency or business registration requirements. Make sure that you can meet these requirements, because you might need to verify your registration information. If you can’t meet these requirements, then your domain might be suspended.
- A new SSL certificate is created automatically when you buy a domain through Shopify. You dont need to buy SSL encryption for your domain.
- You need to pay the registration fee every year to renew your domain subscription. Domain renewals are charged separately from your monthly subscription charges. The exact pricing depends on which domain extension you choose.
- Domain hosting services are only available with a paid Shopify plan. If you want to close your store or your Shopify account, and you want to keep using your domain, then you need to transfer your domain before you close your store. You can transfer your domain to one of the following:
- another domain registrar
Recommended Reading: Godaddy To Squarespace
How Much Does A Domain Name Cost Exactly
While you can expect to pay around $20 per year for an unreserved .com.au domain, the most expensive .com.au domain ever sold went for $400,000.
Although owning a domain is often likened to owning property, the fact is you dont have the same volume of comparable domain properties to anchor the value. Instead, a domain names value is much more dependent on what someone is willing to pay for it.
If youd like to know how much a prospective domain name is worth or if you want to check the estimated value of one you already own, check out GoDaddys domain valuation tool.
Beyond that, there are a few factors that will influence how much a domain name costs.