How To Manually Configure Dns
If your site was not built with a service in our Connect galleryor you just like to do things the old fashioned waysetting up DNS consists of three steps:
Finding the required information will involve going through your web hosts support documentation .
How To Obtain A Domain Name
To obtain a domain name, you must register a domain name with a Domain Registrar like Launchpad, which you can do so through your Customer Portal or .
Please check out this article to guide you on registering your domain name.
Things to Remember in Choosing a Domain Name for Your Website:
For more tips in choosing a domain name, please refer to this article, Advanced Tips on Picking a Domain Name.
How Do I Find A Domain Name For Myself
Hostinger offers a domain name search tool to help you find a suitable domain. Simply enter a domain name of your choice in the search box and press Enter. Our system will then display a list of available TLDs or extensions based on your suggestion.If your preferred domain name is already registered, choose another extension or try coming up with different variations using your brand name. Once you find your unique domain name, you can claim it by proceeding with domain registration.
Also Check: Cost To Register Domain Name
How To Transfer Your Domain Name
No matter where you registered a domain name from, youre free to transfer it to another registrar whenever you want.
Users usually transfer their domain name if theyre not satisfied with the service offered by their current domain name registrar.
Whatever your reason for transferring is, to initiate the transfer, we always recommend you to wait at least 45 days after the registration or renewal. ICANN, the international organization that oversees domain names, requires one-year renewal whenever a transfer is initiated. By transferring your domain name before that period you could lose that years renewal fee.
Requirements For Registering A Domain
When you are registering a domain, you are supposed to provide the following information to your domain registrar.
- Administrative Contact This is the contact of the domain owner, and it is the highest administrative control of the domain. You are required to provide your name, postal address and important contact information for you to be officially associated with the domain.
- Technical Contact- The technical contact is one that manages the domain at the technical level. The one who has the permission to manage the name servers, configure and update them. You can have a different contact from the administrative contact.
- Billing Contact This is the contact that will be receiving the invoice for the domain renewals and updates of upcoming renewal dates.
- Name Servers- Majority of the domain registrars provide two name servers by default that are related to the registrar. You can substitute the name servers with your custom name servers if you are not hosting the website with your name registrar- some registrars like Godaddy, also offer web hosting.
How to Register a Domain Name
Domain names are the real business names and are the foundation of a website. The first step to building a website is registering a domain name. Buying a domain name is easy and can be accomplished in the following steps:
Save with Domain Coupons It is possible to buy a domain name for as low as $0.99 for the first time using domain coupons that are issued during several promos.
Read Also: How Much Do Domains Cost Per Year
Why You Should Keep Domain And Web Hosting Separate
Just how a hosting provider can offer domain hosting and web hosting in the same package, its not always a great idea to buy them from the same provider. There are a few reasons why.
1. Better security against hacking. Separated domain and web hosting can help keep a website safe from being hacked completely. If a hacker gets access through your domain, they can then get access to all your files. Then they could lock down the website and transfer the domain to wherever they want. Youd lose it all.
If a domain is not hosted with the same provider, then at least you wont lose it. Of course, as long as you dont use the same login and passwords for both.
2. Preventing domain loss. Lets say you pay for web hosting and domain hosting on the same day with the same provider. One year later, your subscription expires and your domain goes into a holding pattern. If you didnt switch hosts before that happened, you could lose the domain completely.
Buy Them Bundled Together
With this path, you buy your domain, hosting, website software, and website services in a single bundle from a single company.
This path is otherwise known as going with a hosted website builder.
This path is common among website owners. Its convenient. Its simple and it makes a lot of sense for many website owners.
What is important is to recognize that you are still paying for the same elements as the first two options. You are simply paying for a bundle with everything included.Sponsored Links
- GoDaddy Website Builder focused on basic, simple sites.
- Weebly focused on small shops & projects w/ usable editor.
- Shopify focused on growing online stores.
- Unified support for a single, proprietary product.
- Integrated functionality so everything just works.
- Professional speed, security, and maintenance.
- Loss of total control & access to server.
- Usually more expensive over long-term.
- Inability to customize specific features/edits.
- Hard to troubleshoot without customer support.
- Hard to leave the company for a different option.
Once youve chosen and activated your plan, youll have to follow the companys steps to get started. They have usually laid out a clear path to get your website in place and live.
Recommended Reading: Average Domain Name Price
Key Differences Between Url And Domain Name
How To Build A Website
The days of needing to learn how to code or hiring a developer to build your website are long gone. These may still provide you with a more customized or unique website, but there are tools that will allow anyone to build a great-looking website without requiring any technical expertise.
The particular steps you need to take will be different depending on which site builder you choose, but the process will look something like this:
And thats all there is to it. Each of these steps can take minutes or days depending on how much effort youd like to put into it, but generally speaking, it can be relatively quick to put a website together nowadays.
Difference Between Url And Domain Name
Do you know what is a web domain all about? Some people tend to confuse it with URL. You can find multiple similarities between a URL and a domain name. However, the true meanings of these two are different. A URL would direct a person to a specific page or a part of a website. The domain name would only be a part of the URL.When you deep dive and take a look at a URL, you will figure out that it has a protocol, domain, as well as a path. The protocol defines whether the website has an SSL certificate or not. However, a URL would only have away if used to direct visitors to a specific website page. In other words, the home page URL of a website doesnt have a path.
If you are looking for how to sell a domain name ? This article can guide you!
What Is The Difference Between A Domain Name And A Website
A domain name refers to the address of a website. It is what people enter in the URL tab of their browsers to access a website. On the other hand, a website is made up of a collection of files, pages, data, and images. It is what people see and interact with from their browser screens.The bottom line is that one cant create a website without registering a domain name. Similarly, purchasing a domain doesnt automatically give you a functional website. If you want to use your domain name for a website, you will first need to build the website and connect it with your domain name.
Read Also: What Is .io Website
How Domain Names Work
Internet addresses are technically IP Addresses. IP addresses are a long series of numbers that make no sense to humans. In fact, the very first places on the internet were accessible only by IP address.
So instead of typing in 192.168.0.1.1 to access a website, the website owner can register a domain that will route to that specific IP address.
When you register a domain name, you are leasing it from the Internet Corporation for Names and Numbers or ICANN for short. ICANN provides domains via approved registrars. Your registrar will be your domain host, but not your web host, in one way of saying it.
Though a domain name does not do anything on its own. It is like a phone number without a phone attached to it.
Registration provides you the right to point your domain wherever you want with nameservers.
You can tell it to redirect to another website But usually, youll want it to direct browsers to your websiteon your hosting account.
You can read more in Domain Names, Explained.
Why Domains And Good Domain Names Are Important
If you are looking to create a website, you will need to register a domain and find a suitable domain name. Doing this accomplishes several things:
- Reinforces your branding: Odds are, you will employ a URL that includes your websites name or some clever take on the name. This will be the first thing your potential customers see and has the potential to be the word that comes to mind when they think about your particular good or service.
- Makes the website easier to recall: Shorter and catchier is generally better, but even a longer yet unique domain name can help stick in a persons head.
- Conveying what you are all about: A domain name should help you sell your good or service in a single word or phrase. This has the ability to encapsulate everything it is you provide and can help clue in consumers on what to expect from your website.
- SEO optimization: SEO relies on keywords for rankings. A good domain name should ping keywords that are associated with searches for your good or service.
Also Check: What Is A .io Website
How A Domain Name And Web Hosting Work Together To Create A Website
Domain and hosting work hand-in-hand imagine that both your IP address and the domain name act as your websites address, and web hosting is the actual house. Without web hosting, your site cant exist on the internet.
Therefore, you need to sync and point your domain name to your web hosting provider after you buy it.
To avoid too much hassle, we highly recommended purchasing a domain name and web hosting from the same place. This way, you dont need to worry about linking them manually, and you can start creating your website right away.
Lets briefly go over the steps of how to build a website with Hostinger:
Make Your Page Work For Both
With these techniques, you can configure your server to respond correctly for both, the www-prefixed and the non-www-prefixed domains. It is good advice to do this since you can’t predict which URL users will type in their browser’s URL bar. It is a matter of choosing which type you want to use as your canonical location, then redirecting the other type to it.
Don’t Miss: How To Transfer Squarespace Domain To Godaddy
Finding A Hosting Provider
Once youve succeeded in registering a domain name, the next step is finding a hosting provider. Web hosting services are available at a wide range of prices. The cost of services typically depends on the following:
- Server type
- Customer support provided
- Expected traffic
The hosting plan you choose will also depend on the type of website youre building. Some hosting providers are more eCommerce-focused, while others concentrate on blogging and search engine optimization.
So, its better to compare different hosting plans to figure out which one will cater to your needs.
One of the most popular hosting services around there is SiteGround.
Use In Web Site Hosting
- URL: http://www.example.net/index.html
- Second-level domain: example
- Hostname: www
A domain name may point to multiple IP addresses to provide server redundancy for the services offered, a feature that is used to manage the traffic of large, popular web sites.
Web hosting services, on the other hand, run servers that are typically assigned only one or a few addresses while serving websites for many domains, a technique referred to as virtual web hosting. Such IP address overloading requires that each request identifies the domain name being referenced, for instance by using the HTTP request header fieldHost:, or Server Name Indication.
You May Like: Domain Costs Per Year