Gmail Domain Setup: A How
Many first-time domain owners are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of domains and their integration with other services, such as Gmail.
For example, did you know that you can link your domain to your Gmail account so that your business can take full advantage of G Suite services? Boiled down, this means that you can connect a Gmail address to your domain name, and then access it from just about anywhere in the world.
Lets say that you have a domain called golfbropros.com and your name is Tom. With Domain.com you can easily create Tom@golfbropros.com as the email, and then have that linked directly to a Gmail account. If you dont already own a domain, you can find one and complete the purchase process with Domain.com in minutes. This way, you get to keep a professional looking email and have the power of the G Suite at your fingertips as well.
Now, getting started can be a little daunting but finding a domain name and linking it to a Gmail is easy with Domain.com. Lets discuss the steps to take to setup a Gmail and domain, plus everything you need to know about Gmail for business.
Using Your Domain Name In Gmail
Before I show you how to integrate into gmail, I want to give you a heads up on how it works.
You can add aliases to your gmail account so if you have a variety of domain names, you can integrate them all into your gmail. If you receive an email from someone using your new alias, when you hit reply, your gmail account will automatically send from the same domain name as long as you have set up the incoming and outgoing server details correctly.
Youll also be able to select which account you send from if youre creating a new email to send out from your domain or you can set it as your default so that it always comes up as the chosen domain email address.
So lets get your domain name added to your gmail.
Watch the video below or scroll down to read the instructions.
Importing Your Domain Email Account Into Gmail
If you are using the Secure SSL/TLS settings, make sure you select Port 995 from the Port drop-down menu.
If you are using the Non-SSL settings, select Port 110 from the Port drop-down menu.
You May Like: Who Owns My Domain
Don’t Miss: How To Get Your Own Email Domain With Gmail
Set Up Google App Password
Set up an App Password for your Gmail account to allow you to use the Gmail SMTP servers securely.
Go to the Gmail account. Click your username or user icon in the upper right corner to bring up the user menu and click My Account
In the Google account screen, under Sign-in & security, click Signing in to Google.
In the Password & sign-in method box, click App passwords.
You must have 2-Step Verification enabled for the App passwords option to be available. If it is not, click 2-Step Verification and enable 2-Step Verification. Then continue to set the App password.
In the App passwords box, select Mail for the app, and select Other for the device.
Enter the name of your domain for the other device, and click Generate.
The Generated app password box will display a 16-character password. Copy this password. You will need it when you add your new send-as account.
Test Your Email Address
Since Google confirmed that you correctly entered the MX records, this is technically not a necessary step.
But its the fastest way to take your new branded email for a spin inside the Gmail inbox.
Open another email account, Gmail, Outlook, AOL, it doesnt matter. Compose a new email and enter your new email address in the To field.
Write a random subject like First email and send it.
Now, head over to Gmail and log in with your Google Workspace credentials.
If you did everything correctly, you should see the test email you send from your other account in your inbox.
Need a hosting solution that gives you a competitive edge? Kinstas got you covered with incredible speed, state-of-the-art security, and auto-scaling. Check out our plans
You can also try composing and sending an email the other way around to confirm that you can send mails without issue as well.
Donât Miss: Gulftel Email Settings
You May Like: How To Move Domain From Wix To Shopify
Set Up A New Email Address In Bluehost
These instructions will work for any web hosting service that uses the cPanel control panel.
1. Log into your Bluehost web hosting account. If you have a WordPress account, dont go into the WordPress administration.
2. Select Advanced in the left-hand menu to get to the cPanel control panel and scroll down to the Email section.
3. Click on Email Accounts. This will open the Email Account Management screen.
4. Click on the blue Create button. This will open the email setup screen. Give the account a name, create a password, and then press the Create button.
5. Back in the Email Account Manager screen, you will see your new email account listed. Click on Connect Devices on that line.
6. In the Set Up Mail Client screen, scroll down to the Mail Client Manual Settings. Record the information is the SSL/TLS box for use in Gmail.
Create A Gmail Account
If you already have a Gmail account for yourself, leave that alone, and create a new free email address for your business.
1. Go to www.gmail.com
2. Click on Create account. If you already have an account you will be taken to that. Click on the icon for your account in the top-right of the screen and click on Add another account in the drop-down menu. The add account procedure is the same for creating a new Gmail account.
3. Enter a name, email address, and password for your new Gmail address.
Dont worry if your email address has to have numbers on it to make it unique no one will see this address.
Press the blue Next button to move on.
4. Enter account recovery and identification information on the next screen.
Press the blue Next button.
5. Google will send a verification code to the phone number you gave.
Fill in the verification code and then press the blue Verify button.
6. Press Skip on the next screen, which is about extra services.
7. Check the two boxes at the bottom of the Privacy and Terms screen and press the Create Account button.
A popup window will ask you to go back to the extra services screen. Ignore this and press the Confirm button.
8. In the account creation confirmation screen, press Continue to get to your new accounts Inbox.
Recommended Reading: What Do Different Domains Mean
Set Up Business Email With A New Domain
Buy a new domain name for your email address and set up the email addresses with Microsoft 365.
Read Also: How To Transfer A Domain To Squarespace
How G Suite Justifies Your Investment And Boosts Productivity
Yes, its perfectly possible to use gmail with a custom domain without G Suite, as well show you below. But custom email domains for your business are just a single facet of what G Suite has to offer.
For example, our hack lets you append your domain to a single email address through the magic of email forwarding. This is fine if youre the only person in your company who needs such an emailbut what if youve got employees?
In short, G Suite makes it easy to assemble team members under your business domain, providing a common platform for collaboration and sharing of files. Heres an example of what you can do with G Suite:
- You can set up custom emails for every team member according to their name and/or function.
- If you hire freelancers or contractors, you can create accounts for them on the fly, then revoke access with a single click once the projects completed.
- Easily sync calendar events across your entire team, and centralize communications via Googles Chat, Video, and Voice conferencing.
- including Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Keep notes, and more.
- Customize retention policies per user for all this data, and archive it with unlimited cloud storage via Drive. Easily search and recall anything from the vault with eDiscovery.
- Boost productivity via custom workflows, automation, and integrations with Google Apps Script
- Track user activity via in-depth audit reports.
Don’t Miss: How To Verify Your Domain On Facebook
Setup Your New Email As An Alias In Gmail
Congratulations, youre now receiving all of your emails in Gmail for free. The final step is to create an alias so that you can also SEND all of your emails using Gmail for free.
To set up an alias in Gmail, log in to your free Gmail account created in step 1 and click the settings icon. Then click Settings.
Then click the Accounts and Import tab and scroll down until you see Send mail as:. Click the Add another email address link.
Enter the name youd like to use for the email address. Then enter the custom email address you created in Bluehost as the email address. Make sure the Treat as an alias checkbox is checked.
If all went well, Gmail should send a confirmation email with your confirmation code. Simply enter the confirmation code and click Verify.
Finally, go back to the Settings -> Accounts and Import tab. Find the Send mail as:section and set your new email address as the default address to send mail as.
Once you click that button, youre done!!! Youre now sending and receiving emails in Gmail using your custom domain for free! Amazing!
Bluehost Cpanel Email Settings
Lets go back to cPanel and find your email settings.
- Under Domain, choose the specific domain where you would like to create an email account.
- In the Username text box, type the user you would like to use.
- In the Password text box, type the password you would like for this email account.
- The Password StrengthMeter will tell if the password you have entered is strong enough. We highly recommend you use a strong password.
- The Mailbox quota text box is used to specify the amount of your overall hosting storage allocated for that specific email account. The default that should be listed is 500 MB. You can increase or decrease this number as you desire, depending on the hosting package that you currently have.
- Once the User, Password, and Quota are all accurate, click the Create button.
Youll need to have these settings in front of you to be able to configure Gmail to send and receive emails
You May Like: When Does A Domain Name Become Available
Forwarding Emails To Gmail Account
Now that we have the necessary data, its time to set the Gmail account so it can receive messages sent to your custom domain email. Heres how:
Create A Google Workspace Account
To create a Google Workspace account, youll need to visit the Google Workspace website and follow the account setup wizard. Here youll be asked for your custom domain details, as well as the option to purchase a new domain if you want to use another one.
Once youve filled out the information required, your Google Workspace account will be created and youre ready to proceed to the next step.
Recommended Reading: How Much Is Google Domain Email
Sign Up For Google Workspace
While the first option will save you some money, I do recommend just instead. Its much simpler and more reliable than the first option listed above. In addition to a domain email with Gmail, youll have tons of extra features that make it easier to collaborate, store documents, share files, and even add or remove user accounts for other people on your team that use your domain name in their email addresses:
- During the contract, I could make files & events shareable with all TDN employees to easily collaborate
- Finally, when the contract ended, I could freeze their accounts with 1 click so my business info is safe!
All of those benefits were possible because I had Google Workspace. They actually offer a 14-day free trial so you get a better sense of what its like to use all their features. In addition, they provide promo codes that help save 10% off for the year.
This promotion is only available for the Business Starter and Business Standard packages. There are a few differences between these 2 plans the standard plan comes with much more storage space and lets you record video meetings. But in general, the standard plan is only worth the extra money if you have a lot of files that you need to store or if you work as part of a team that does a lot of collaborative work remotely, otherwise, Id go with the basic package.
Set Up Mail Forwarding In Godaddy
Don’t Miss: How To Get A De Domain
How To Use A Custom Domain Address For A Gmail Account
You might have heard of an SMTP server, IMAP, and POP3 in relation to setting up an email account. You dont need to know how to deal with those email protocols in order to use this workaround to get a Gmail account to use your own custom domain on the email address.
Just follow this step-by-step guide.
Set Up Multiple Users
You can then repeat the above process to create more users using the same business email extension.
Once you upgrade to a paid plan, youll have pay for each additional user at the same rate as your plan. For example, if you opt for Google Workspaces Business Standard plan and have three users, youll pay Â£24.84 per month.
Donât Miss: Connect Godaddy Domain To Squarespace
Also Check: How To Hack A Domain Email Account
Find An Actual Person To Help You Set It Up Correctly
We highly recommend going with a reputable email service provider but also finding a local company or someone you can actually talk to that will help you set it up and decide which one you need.
The cost of the service fee to or to Microsoft 365 will be the same as the local company.
The companies that offer these services are usually extremely diversified in how to set up the different systems and use them to make your business more efficient. There could be varying setup fees for it. Theyre helping you improve your business, and therefore will be charging you for consulting. Since youre not an expert on it, if you attempt to do it on your own, the time it took you to figure it out probably could have paid for someone else to do it.
If you set it up through Google, youre on your own, and youre going to figure out how to do it on your own.
Read Also: Why Are Some Domains So Expensive