Setting Up Your Domain At Squarespace
In order to link your domain to your Squarespace site, you first need to prepare Squarespace for your domain.
- If you dont already have a Squarespace account, get one at squarespace.com. If you already have an account you can skip this step.
- Log into Squarespace if you haven’t already. From the main Squarespace screen, Click the “SETTINGS” link on the left side of the screen.
- Type your domain under “Use a Third-Party Domain” and select the arrow to the right of the domain you just entered.
- Once you click the arrow, two options will appear below. Locate the “Connect Domain” section and click the arrow inside that section.
- Select a domain provider of “Other” and click “CONNECT DOMAIN.”
- A message box will appear. Click “CONTINUE”.
- The DNS Settings box will appear. Take special note of the entry under the Host column with a Required Data entry of verify.squarespace.com. This is your verification code. Don’t close this browser window! You’ll need to refer back to it in a few minutes.
Import Your Store Data Into Shopify
After you export your product, customer, and order data from Squarespace into CSV files, you need to import these files into Shopify.
From your Shopify admin, click Apps> Store Importer.
On the Import your data into Shopify page, select Squarespace from the drop-down menu.
In the Upload files section, click Add file and select the exported files.
Click Continue import> Import.
If the platform mentioned on the Store Importer page is not your store’s platform, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Select a different platform. You can then select Squarespace from the drop-down menu.
The Difference Between Connecting And Transferring A Domain
Choosing to connect a domain purchased elsewhere to your new website means that you continue to pay your domain registrar for domain renewals. If you have email services through your domain registrar, you continue to use that service. You pay Squarespace or Weebly only for a website hosting plan. You work with two companies to keep your website active one keeps the domain and email active and the other, Squarespace or Weebly, keeps the website files active.
Transferring a domain moves responsibility for the domain from the original domain registrar to Squarespace or Weebly. Both your website files and your domain are managed by one company, but you will have to establish a new email account through the integrated Google G Suite plan provided by Squarespace or Weebly.
Don’t Miss: How To Transfer Squarespace Domain To Godaddy
A Squarespace Free Custom Domain Is Not Really Free
First of all, the advertised free domain is only for the first year AND only if you subscribe to their yearly plans. If you dont read the fine print, you might think its free for life and thats exactly what Squarespace wants you to believe:
All Squarespace website plans purchased for an annual term include one year of free domain registration on available domains on our cheapest pricing tier. Domains registered through this promotion will renew at our standard rate after the first year. Outside of this offer, you can attach unlimited domains to any Squarespace plan, on a monthly or yearly basis.
What Is The Concept Of Shopify Domain Forwarding
Domain forwarding refers to the process of connecting a third-party domain to your Shopify store. In other words, you want to configure the domain DNS settings so that it points to your store whenever someone tries to access it. By connecting your store to a pre-existing domain, you can continue using the same hosting service you are comfortable with and avoid unnecessary hassle. Furthermore, should you require Shopify migration services, you can get in touch with a Shopify web development company.
How long does it take to transfer the domain to Shopify?
The speed of transfer changes from host to host, but, for the most part, it can take between 24 hours to 15 days. For more information, you can contact the Shopify support and maintenance services of a development company.
Changing domain hosting providers is a big decision and should not be taken lightly. Therefore, whether you want to move to or away from Shopify, consider hiring a Shopify web development companys services. In doing so, you get access to Shopify migration services, Shopify web design services and Shopify support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I buy my domain through Shopify?
What will happen to my domain if I close my Shopify store?
If you purchased a standard domain name through Shopify, the domain would shut down along with the store. On the other hand, if you procured a custom domain name, you have the option of transferring it to a new CMS of your choosing.
Recommended Reading: Connecting Godaddy Domain To Squarespace
How Much Does It Cost
All Squarespace sites within the first year of their an annual billing cycle include one free custom domain. This domain is free for its first year. Only select TLDs are eligible. Additional domains are $20 to $70 per year.
Pricing is based on the TLD. For example, common TLDs like .com and .org are $20 per year, and other TLDs like .photography .media are $30 and $50 per year. To find a domain’s price, you can search for it on the domain name search page or your Domains panel.
Prepare Domain For Transfer From Squarespace
If you do utilize a third party, look for similar instructions to unlock your domain and obtain the unique authentication code.
Don’t Miss: How To Change Ownership Of Domain Name
Can I Connect My Squarespace Domain To Another Provider
Yes, this is possible. However, if you’re moving your site to a different provider, we recommend transferring your domain to them instead.
Move Your Google Workspace Subscription
When you move your domain to a new site, you can also move over that domains linked Google Workspace subscription, as long as the new site doesnt already have a Google Workspace account. Its not possible to have two active Google Workspace subscriptions on one site.
If youre moving a Squarespace domain, your Google Workspace subscription will move over to the new site automatically. To ensure this happens smoothly, . If the account is suspended, you can go through all the steps to move your domain, but neither the domain nor the Google Workspace account will actually move.
If you have a third-party domain, you must first complete the steps above to move your domain, and then contact us to request the Google Workspace transfer. Include the following information with your request:
- Current Squarespace site URL
- Squarespace site URL of the site you’re moving to
- Custom domain name
- Full name and last four digits of the credit card on file for each site
Don’t Miss: What Is Io Domain Used For
Export Content From Squarespace
Once the installation of the WordPress theme is completed, the next point of action will be to export the content that is in Squarespace. However, there are some limitations when it comes to exporting contents from Squarespace. It does not allow exporting all the contents that are present on the website. You can only export a few specific contents, and the remaining contents that cannot be exported from the website have to be copy pasted to the WordPress site manually.
To make it easier for you to understand, we are listing the type of contents you can export directly from Squarespace. The contents that are not on this list, has to be exported manually.
- Basic pages of your current website can be exported as WordPress pages.
- From the blog, once a blog page can be exported. The exported blog page will appear in WordPress pages as a blog.
- The blog posts that were in the blog page will be automatically exported as well.
- Gallery pages can be exported to WordPress.
- Text, images and embedded blocks can be exported.
The above-mentioned contents and elements you can export from the Squarespace website. In the following, we will list down the type of content that cannot be exported from Squarespace.
- Pages with product, album, events.
- Blocks with audio, video and products.
- Style changes and custom CSS.
- Folders and index pages cannot be exported.
- Blog page export is limited to one page. You cannot export more than that.
So How Do You Move Your Website From Squarespace To Showit
Seriously, thats it! And, if you choose to work with us for your custom website design, well take care of all of these things for you. Weve moved dozens of websites over from Squarespace with ease. Dont hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions on design capabilities or to help you figure out if this is the right move for your photography business!
You May Like: How To Transfer Squarespace Domain To Godaddy
Set Up The New Nameservers
If youre using Squarespaces nameservers , you will need to use new nameservers when you transfer the domain name, because Squarespaces nameservers will go away after the transfer.
Namecheap offers free a free DNS called, well, FreeDNS. Once you select this at Namecheap, youll have to copy a TXT record into the existing DNS records at Squarespace before it can be used.
Once you do that, it takes less than an hour to be activated. Note that activated means ready to use, not that it is actually being used yet.
After its activated, you can start entering the new DNS records which you copied from a few steps back .
This is under a tab called Advanced DNS, which I thought at first was a different product. It is actually where you edit the records for FreeDNS.
Very carefully enter the DNS settings that you copied from Squarespace here. If you make a mistake, your site might not show up after the transfer and email might not work , so double and triple check!
TIP: If Im doing a transfer for a client, I always make sure I have an alternate email address and their phone number IF they are using the domain name as their email address. During the process I keep them updated on both their main email address and the alternate, in case something goes wrong.
Moving Website From Squarespace To Wix Is It Worth It
The reasons of moving from Squarespace may be numerous and quite versatile this mainly depends upon the type of web project you run, its size, characteristics, implication, web design goals and your expectations. Here is the list of the most popular causes to move from Squarespace to Wix:
- As the all-in-one website builder, Wix unveils more freedom of actions and deeper flexibility that lets you grow your business, expand to new markets and target diverse user categories
- If you frequently update your website on your own, Wix might be a more preferable solution to work with as it is simpler, more convenient and more full-featured as compared to Squarespace this will eventually help save your effort and time
- As you business grows, you might encounter the need to manage it on a more powerful platform that can additionally provide you with multiple blogging, eCommerce and business management features this is where Wix will come in handy.
Also Check: How Much Should A Domain Name Cost Per Year
How To Import Images From Squarespace
The WordPress importer feature does not successfully complete the import of images from Squarespace. The process can be easily done through the help of another plugin. In order to go through the process easily, the first thing should be done is to download the Auto Upload Images plugin. You can have a look at our step by step guide of installing WordPress plugin.
After the plugin is installed and activated, you will have to edit the posts and pages that have images. Once you configure, this plugin will do the rest. With this WordPress plugin you can update contents at bulk. This plugin will allow you to complete the task in a few clicks instead of doing it manually.
To get started with the process, you need to go to the Post section and click on the All Post Page. From their click on the Screen Options at the top.
You need to increase the number to 999 in the Number of items per page field field and click on the Apply button. WordPress will reload the page, and this time it will show 999 posts at a time. Next, you need to select all your posts and then select Edit under the bulk actions menu.
From the screen options, go to the number of items per page field and increase the number to 999 and click on the Apply button. After that, WordPress will reload the page and it will show 999 posts together. Then select all posts and then click Edit under the bulk action menu.
Squarespace And Email Accounts
Squarespace doesnt offer custom email addresses by default with their domains. What they do, like many other website builders, In this case, you get to use the basic Workspace plan, which includes Google Drive, Calendar, Docs and Hangouts, amongst others.
Its not an ideal solution, but there are advantages:
- You can manage your Google Workspace products directly from Squarespace
- You can connect Squarespace contact forms to your Google drive and address
- If you are eligible, you may get Workspace free for one year.
The cons include:
- Not able to connect any other email providers with Squarespace. Its Google Workspace or youll have to manage your emails through the third party provider solution.
- If you really want to keep your email offer from another provider, you can connect it to Google Workspace, but its not an easy task.
- Certain features might be unavailable. For instance, if you sign up to Google Workspace by yourself, you get Google Voice. When you go through Squarespace, their partnership doesnt cover that service.
Finally, when it comes to prices, its all the same whether you buy through Squarespace or Google directly, costing around $6 per month or $72 per year . And yes, thats per user which isnt exactly cheap.
Don’t Miss: How To Access Google Domain