Allow Gmail To Receive Emails Using Pop3
Once you have your custom email account, youre going to use something called POP3 to connect Gmail to your custom email address. Essentially, these settings let your free Gmail account import emails from your email hosting .
To get started, you need to find your emails POP3 settings. At Bluehost, you can do this by clicking the Connect Devices tab when youre editing your email account. Heres what it looks like:
If your email hosting is elsewhere, youll want to consult your services documentation or reach out to their support if you cant find your POP3 information.
- Open the Gmail settings by clicking the gear icon in the top-right corner and selecting See all settings.
- Go to the Accounts and Import tab.
- Find the Check mail from other accounts setting.
- Click Add a mail account.
That should open a popup with multiple steps.
On the next step, choose Import emails from my other account :
Enter the following information:
- Username normally, this is your full email address, but sometimes its only the part that comes before @.
- Password the password that you set when creating your custom email address.
- POP Server and Port from your email host.
- Check the Leave a copy box.
- Check the Always use a secure connection box.
- Optionally choose to add a label.
- Click Add Account to finish the process.
Purchasing A Domain Name
Checking for a domain names availability at Domain.com is simple. Type the name you wish for in the search bar and then hit the magnifying glass symbol. If available, you can then buy your domain name. If unavailable, a list of similar names with slight variations to the domain name itself or the domain extension is presented.
Once you have found that ideal domain name and confirmed its availability, youre then required to submit the following information to Domain.com:
- The domain name and domain extension
- First and last name
- Billing information
- Administrative contact information
After you file this information, Domain.com instantly starts the registration process, sending the request to ICANN, who then performs a WHOIS query to confirm your identity.
As a note, you should be aware that domain registration does not last forever. It is similar to renting an apartment for a few years, with the option to renew that rent annually. With Domain.com, you have the opportunity to purchase a domain name for a span of one to five years.
But Its Also Worth Doing
OK, that ought to be enough to scare away the people who aren’t serious. For those of you still with me: this is going to be a hell of a lot of fun, and you’re going to learn a lot.
This is going to be multi-part series, and here in this first part we’re going to ask a bunch of questions about how we’re going to set our e-mail server up. We’ll also outline the applications we’re going to use and talk about what they do. We expect this series will run over the course of the next few weeks unlike our series on setting up a Web server, though, you won’t be able to get started firing off e-mails after part 1you need the whole thing in order for it all to work right.
This certainly isn’t the only DIY e-mail tutorial on the Web. If you’re eager to skip ahead and get started now, we suggest consulting Christoph Hass’ excellent tutorial on Workaround.orghe makes many of the same configuration choices that we will be making. However, Ars wouldn’t be putting this guide together if we didn’t have a few tricks up our sleeveswe’ve been in an e-mail configuration cave for the past month, and we have a lot of good information to share.
Don’t Miss: Gulftel Webmail
How To Get An Email Address On Your Custom Domain Name
You probably have Gmail or some other free email account already. While that email is perfectly fine, it might not look very good when used for any sort of professional purpose.
Were going to show you two ways to do that:
- Option A). Involves handling everything within your user panel at Bluehost one of the leading web hosting firms on the web, famous for its low prices and good beginner-friendly approach.
- Option B). Involves connecting your domain name to Gmail as in, yes, you will be interacting with your email through a Gmail-like panel, but youll be doing so in a way that lets you use your custom domain email instead of a standard address @gmail.com.
Something we need to admit right up front is that path is much more beginner-friendly. Wed give it 5/5 on the ease of use scale. Path is a moderate 3/5.
Option A) Create Email Accounts for Your Domain Name with Web Hosting Provider
In this example, well show you steps to create email accounts for your domain name with Bluehost:
First, log in to your Bluehost panel and then go into the Advanced tab from the main sidebar.
From there scroll down to the Email section and click on Email Accounts.
From there click on the Create button.
Heres how to fill that out:
Once you have the fields filled in, click on Create again.
Option B) Create Email Accounts for Your Domain Name with Gmail
Using Outlookcom With Your Own Domain Or Current Email Address
This allows you to both send and receive emails with an address which you already own, even if it is from another provider such as Gmail.
Using an Outlook.com account is a great alternative for your current POP3 or IMAP account if you want to sync your emails, contacts and calendar items with multiple devices such as your desktop, laptop, netbook, tablet or smartphone. It behaves a lot like a personal Exchange or Office 365 for Business account but for free.
Setting this up is relatively quick and easy but there are some pitfalls to notice. This guide walks you through the entire process of setting up an Outlook.com account with your own current email address and how to transfer all your current data.
Don’t Miss: Find Email Server For Domain
What You Should Know About Having Your Own E
Users wishing to register a personal e-mail domain can choose any top-level domain and an available domain name within the desired namespace. Its worth noting that domain names under a TLD can only be assigned once. The choice of available endings depends on the provider. If a desired name is assigned under a particular TLD, users can switch to another ending. The new domain endings offer the opportunity to create an expressive domain name or regional reference: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Be aware that the respective TLD authority defines the rules by which domain names are formed. All top-level domains can be formed with letters a-z, numbers 0-9, and hyphens. Theres no difference between capital and lower-case. Some TLDs also allow special characters in the domain, such as letters with accents. Generally the use of these characters in e-mail domains isnt recommended, as these domains can lead to problems with mail servers and e-mail programs.
Register a domain name
Build your brand on a great domain, including SSL and a personal consultant!
Get A Free Email Domain With Mailcom
If you want a 100% free email domain without needing to purchase your own web hosting and/or domain name, this is your best option.
This method wont enable you to create a custom email domain, so it may not be the best solution for established businesses. However, if youre a freelancer or just starting out and dont mind using a generic domain name, it could be optimal for you.
Mail.com enables you to set up an industry-specific email account thats completely free. You can pick from a variety of domain names such as email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply sign up for an account to get started:
Once youve filled in your details and chosen your password, click on I agree. Create an email account now. Then, click on Activate your account now, and youre done:
Note that, unfortunately, this option wont allow you to send and receive emails via Outlook or Gmail. Youll have to log in to Mail.com each time you want to use it.
Recommended Reading: How Much To Buy A Domain Name
What Is The Best Way To Get A Free Email Domain B12 Your Digital Marketing Partner
Free email is great, but youre probably looking for ways to reduce your entire spend on your website and marketing strategy, right?
If thats the case, we recommend you check out B12.
B12 offers you an affordable way to launch your website.
A professionally-designed site with all the marketing and SEO functions we mentioned could cost upwards of $8,000 or more.
With B12, you get all the advantages of a fully functional and professionally designed website for an affordable monthly subscription.
We are revolutionizing the web design and development process using the best of artificial intelligence. Our unique approach allows us to make the process more efficient and build a website thats not only ready for your visitors, but for search engines as well.
You get a custom email address with a control panel, a new domain, free business email, and email marketing included with your purchase.
Learn more about B12 or, for your free website draft today!
The Sender Policy Framework is a record in the domains DNS that specifies the email server that is allowed to send emails using a particular domains name. This is important for the recipient server to know if the email comes in from an authorized server and prevent spamming using your domain name.
In the DNS Provider, you will have to publish the following SPF as TXT record.
v=spf1 include:zoho.com -all
Learn here to troubleshoot SPF record addition.
To add DKIM signature for your domain:
Custom Domain Email Marketing Ideas
Email marketing has shown to be one of the most effective ways to nurture your business leads and encourage repeat business. You can use your professional email to market in earnest to potential customers and contacts to form longstanding relationships.
Not sure how? Here are some examples to get you started:
- Free eBooks or whitepapers are great incentives to get folks to sign up for your mailing list. Make sure the information is something that subscribers can use, and dont be over-promotional. Let your knowledge and experience be your sales pitch.
- Offer exclusive Subscribers Only discounts and sales. Include a promo code just for your email marketing list subscribers.
- Share tips or FAQ that you know your site visitors are hungry for. Include a how-to guide or list of tips targeting what your customers want to know. Of course, also incorporate to your website.
- Include exclusive content that is not posted publicly on your blog or site. Maybe a special how-to or downloadable PDF that only email newsletter subscribers can access.
- Provide a customer survey. The survey can ask about anything from newsletter content to product offerings. Include an incentive, such as the subscriber being entered in a drawing for a gift certificate or gift card for your products or services. What do you want to know? Just ask your subscribers will pipe in!
Quick email marketing tips
Now that youve got some ideas brewing, youll want to keep these tips in mind:
Also Check: Vistaprint Domain Transfer
Find The Email Settings Area
Login to your account where you purchased your domain name, and go to the My Account area. From there youll see a list of options, one of them being Email, click the Set Up button. Remember, you dont need to buy anything additional to set this up. Were simply forwarding your email address to something more use-able Gmail.
Note: If you already have web hosting somewhere youll usually find this area somewhere in the cPanel of your domain/hosting service.
Pick Your Email Address And Designate Where It Should Forward
This is where well pick an email address, so whether you go with your name or something like or , just make sure its what you want so you dont have to change it in the future. This is the email youll use to set up other services like social media accounts, if you dont have those as well.
While you can make your account a catch-all account, meaning anything that gets sent to a random email address at your domain will get sent to you, but Id recommend not to do this since youll generally receive a lot more spam emails .
If you domain hosting doesnt allow you to forward email for free, then youll probably need to change your MX record too. The easiest way to find the step by step direction for your hosting provider is to search their help section for MX or contact them! For example, heres Namecheaps help topic.
Don’t Miss: Do I Need Private Domain Registration
Bluehost Cpanel Email Settings
Lets go back to cPanel and find your email settings.
- Under Domain, choose the specific domain where you would like to create an email account.
- In the Username text box, type the user you would like to use.
- In the Password text box, type the password you would like for this email account.
- The Password StrengthMeter will tell if the password you have entered is strong enough. We highly recommend you use a strong password.
- The Mailbox quota text box is used to specify the amount of your overall hosting storage allocated for that specific email account. The default that should be listed is 500 MB. You can increase or decrease this number as you desire, depending on the hosting package that you currently have.
- Once the User, Password, and Quota are all accurate, click the Create button.
Youll need to have these settings in front of you to be able to configure Gmail to send and receive emails
How To Send And Receive Emails Using Your Custom Email With Gmail
Gmail is awesome and its free. You get 15GB of storage and access to Google Drive which is cloud storage for your photos and files. Youll also get access to Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and more. With these tools, youll be able to create and share documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. All of these fully integrate with Gmail and can be used with your custom email.
You can also log in to multiple Gmail accounts at once . Sign up here to .
Also Check: Transfer From Wix To Shopify