Buy A Shopify Domain Via The Shopify Admin Website
1. Log into Shopify admin on your desktop computer
2. In the Sales channels section click Online Store.
3. Click Domains
4. Press the Buy new domain button on the top right
5. Type the domain you want to buy into the domain search box and see the domains available.
6. Choose the domain you want and press the Buy button next to it.
7. Add your payment details and complete your purchase.
8. Return to the Domains screen. If your new domain is ready it will be listed here. Press the Change primary domain link.
9. Select your new domain from the list and press Save.
Congratulations! Your new Shopify domain is ready to go.
If You Care About Flexibility Choosegoogle Domains
One major advantage of a 3rd party domain provider such as Google Domains is that it is a neutral domain provider which will give you more flexibility in the future. What do we mean by that?
If you purchase a domain for your Shopify store through Shopify, you are committing the domain to your Shopify account. This means that to keep the domain alive, youll also have to pay the monthly Shopify account fee after the free trial expires. If you wanted to shut down your Shopify account and switch ecommerce platforms but keep your domain, youll need to go through a domain transfer process, which is a somewhat convoluted and time-consuming process.
With Google Domains, you can simply point your URL to the new ecommerce platforms IP address and the switch will be far more seamless. If, after the free trial period for your Shopify, you decide to close down your Shopify account, your domain registration with Google Domains will remain in-tact and youll be free to continue to use the domain without having to pay again until the end of the first year.
What Is A Domain Name
A domain name is simply the name of your website. Its the word that come after the www. in a web address and after the @ in an email address. So, for example, our domain name is skuagency.com.
When you own an e-commerce website on Shopify, Shopify becomes your DNS host, meaning they register and manage your domain configuration.
You can buy a custom domain name from Shopify, import your existing domain from a third-party domain provider, or set up a free domain with a MyShopify subdomain.
Well go into more detail on these options ahead.
Don’t Miss: Should I Buy My Domain Through Shopify
Keep It Short Sweet And Succinct
There isnt a potential customer out there who wants to type out a 27-character domain address.
The more concise you are, the more likely customers will bother visiting your store. They may only have to type it in once before saving it, but they probably wont deal with ridiculously lengthy domain names in the first place. That is a risk unworthy of your time.
The shorter the name and better it flows, the more memorable it will be. And being memorable is the foundation of a successful online store.
Ready to Choose a Shopify Domain?
Write out a list of ten or so words that describe your business words that you want your customers to associate with your brand.
One or two at a time, pair these words with your brand name and plug them into Shopifys domain name search engine.
This is a smart way to figure out what sounds good to your ear and which names are available.
Does Shopify Provide A Free Domain
When you register on Shopify, you technically get a free domain. This free domain runs on the Shopify Domain Services and your store URL will end in .myshopify.com. So if your store name is The Greatest Store, your free Shopify domain will be thregreateststore.myshopify.com.
You can keep using this free domain until you are ready to launch your brand. Also, you get to test Shopifys services while using this free extension before you commit.
Ultimately, you will need to buy a custom domain when you are ready to launch your brand. The free .myshopify.com extension is not memorable or extendable.
How much does it cost to buy a domain on Shopify?
Buying a domain name from Shopify is going to cost you around $14 per year. Your domain name registration will expire after a year and you will need to renew it before the expiry date.
Actually, domain name pricing on Shopify starts at $11 per year but the exact amount will depend on the top-level domain extension you choose. For the exact price of your domain name and availability, use Shopifys domain name generator.
Note that you cant change the URL of your domain after purchase and domain purchases through Shopify are non-refundable.
Typically, renewal fees are higher than the registration rates and will depend on the type of domain you opt for such as .com, .ca, or .biz. Except the renewal fee to be somewhere between $18 $25.
Recommended Reading: Average Domain Name Price
Buy A Domain Through Shopify
Before you buy a custom domain through Shopify, check the price and availability of your domain name by using Shopify’s domain name generator. Domains purchased through Shopify start at $11 USD per year. The exact pricing depends on which top-level domain extension you choose. The availability of TLDs is subject to change.
The domain name generator displays the availability of your chosen domain name, as well as other available TLDs and alternative domain names. If your chosen domain name or TLD isn’t available, then you can choose one of the suggested options or start a new search.
Final Words And Verdict
The cost of a Domain Name on Shopify is considerably higher than what other domain registrar providers offer.
Compared to NameCheap, its almost double the price!
The truth of the matter is, you are paying a premium for a small amount of convenience. It doesnt take long to change a couple of settings and this is all you need to do to connect a domain from NameCheap .
If you decide to do this, you will be immediately saving for the first year of the domain registration. But this saving extends in future years because renewals on the domain are more expensive once again on Shopify . So the domain will cost you $14 each and every year through Shopify.
With third-party domain registrations, renewals are typically cheaper and you can can save when you buy years in advance at Namecheap a renewal is around $7, and if you purchase a 2 year renewal for example, it will cost you $5 a year, and the more years you pay for in advance the higher the discount. It works out a lot cheaper!
So if you are looking at starting a new Shopify store, or any other online business for that matter, I suggest you head over the NameCheap to get your new branded domain!
You May Like: Transfer Wix To Shopify
Does It Matter Where You Buy Your Domain Name
When you buy a domain name, all domain registrar sites are essentially doing the same thing. If a domain name is free, it should be available from any site. Once purchased, the domain is yours for a year . When that year is up, you either pay to keep the domain, or let it go.
While they all have the same function, its still worth shopping around. You may find the same domain available for different prices across the sites. Check their renewal prices as well. You also need to be sure your domain host has an easy-to-use interface.
What you look for in a domain host will vary from person to person. Look out for the management features provided, email hosting services, domain privacy, automatic renewals, and expiration grace periods.
Its also worth having a look at their domain name transfer policies as well. You may not be planning on a transfer now, but its reassuring to know the move will go smoothly should the need arise.
Some websites wont be able to provide country specific extensions. If youre interested in that service, then its best to shop around.
Some of the best domain registrars are: Domain.com, GoDaddy, NameCheap, HostGator, and Bluehost. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, so research whats important to you before making a choice.
Purchasing a domain is essential to e-commerce. If youre serious about your business, it should be one of the first things you do. For greater future flexibility, we recommended looking outside Shopify.
Does Shopify Give You A Domain
If you are soon to start an eCommerce store on the Shopify platform, then you are going to need a domain. A home on the internet, a URL, and a way to brand your new business. But is a domain given to you for free by Shopify? Or is this something you will need to factor into your expenses?
So, does Shopify give you a domain? No Shopify does not give you a custom domain name for your Shopify store. You will need to purchase this from Shopify or an external third party which you will then need to connect. However, Shopify do provide a free domain extension that you can use to run your store. Here your domain will end in .myshopify.com.
So while does not give you a custom domain in the traditional sense, you can get set up and running without purchasing a branded domain.
Whilst buying a custom domain is this is the advised option, the free extension does mean you can test the platform before you commit .
Recommended Reading: How Much Does It Cost To Buy A Web Domain
Buying A Shopify Domain
Most store owners choose to have a custom domain name for their websites. To buy domain through Shopify costs $11 per year. Once you have paid for your domain, it will be set up for you, and it will always belong to you even if you no longer run your store. But keep in mind that you wont get the Shopify domain email address.
If you want to buy a domain via Shopify, you can follow these steps.
Connect Existing Godaddy Domain To Shopify
1. What you need to do first is to access the Shopify Admin. Login to your Shopify account at http://www.shopify.com.
2. Click the Online Store sales channel on the left side to view the other sections then, click Domains.
3. Since we are connecting an existing GoDaddy domain, we need to click the Connect Existing Domain button.
4. It will then ask you to enter the domain name that you have previously acquired. Click Next after you have entered the domain name.
5. Shopify will automatically detect the internet domain registrar that you have used. Since we will do this Automatically, click the Connect Automatically button.
6. You will be asked to sign in to your GoDaddy account. Just sign in using the login details on where you purchased the domain name.
7. Then, GoDaddy informs you that they will be disconnecting the domain from their DNS records and change it to Shopifyâs DNS records. Just click the blue Connect button to proceed with the changes.
8. It will then give you a Success confirmation informing you that the website is already a Shopify domain. Just click the Close button to go back to Shopify.
Shopify is going to verify the connection of your GoDaddy domain. You will then receive a green callout saying that your domain is now connected with Shopify.
9. What you need to do next is to make sure that your customer will visit your domain and not the Shopify branded domain. Click the Change Primary Domain link and select your domain name, then click Save.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does It Cost To Purchase A Domain
Shopify Standard Plans And Pricing
The lowest tier in their standard plans clocks in at $29 which isnt cheap for hosting or a website builder. However, Shopify plans all come with eCommerce features, so along with the basic builder you get a whole range of associated tools
- Ability to sell digital products
- Manual order creation
How To Choose A Domain Name For Your Shopify Store
Choosing a domain name is one of the things that hold people back from starting their online business. In fact, some people overcomplicate it sometimes! Below are the 4 steps to follow when choosing a domain name for your Shopify store:
- Select a niche A niche is what determines what youre going to be selling. Therefore, its highly advisable to pick a niche, know what you want to sell, and pick a domain accordingly! Your domain name will basically tell what your store about and represent your valuable brand. So, it should be relevant to your product/services!
- Brainstorm ideas Just grab a pen and a piece of paper and start writing down your thoughts. In this step, there are multiple domain name generators that can help you achieve this faster and on a bigger scale.
- Validate your options After brainstorming some ideas and having a list of 20 brand names, its time for validating your ideas and start asking for some feedback from your friends, family, and beloved ones. See what theyd think about the name and whether its easy to remember and catchy or not.
- Check domain registrars for availability Having a domain idea in mind is not all. You need to see which ones are taken and which are not so you can continue with the available ones. You can check the domain availability by going to websites like NameCheap, GoDaddy, or any other domain registrar.
You May Like: How Much Do Domains Cost Per Year
Transfer Shopify Domain To WordPress
WordPress is a PHP-based open-source CMS used in conjunction with a MySQL or MariaDB database. WordPress offers a simplified website design requiring minimal coding. Heres how to transfer your Shopify domain to WordPress: