Some Important Notes About This Method
While the Gmail part of this method is 100% free, there are some caveats to this method in that youll need to already have email hosting to make it work. Typically, you would get this through your web host if you have a website.
For example, if you host your website with Bluehost, Bluehost also helps you create your own custom email address as part of its service .
If you dont own a domain, heres a quick tool you can use to find out if the domain name youre interested in is available:
Once you set up your email address with Bluehost, the method in this tutorial would let you use Gmail to send/receive those emails at no extra cost. Unfortunately, already having this email hosting is a basic requirement for the free method.
For both creating your website and setting up the custom email account to use with Gmail, we recommend Bluehost. Plans start at just $2.75 per month and that includes hosting your website, hosting your email account, plus a free domain name.
If you dont need a website, another option would be to purchase email hosting through your domain registrar. For example, if you registered your domain through Namecheap, Namecheap sells a cheap email hosting service starting at just $0.79 $0.46 per month.
For the rest of this tutorial, well use Bluehost for our example screenshots. However, the same basic principles will apply to any host the interface will just be a little different.
Simple Steps To Get You Going
The migration process from your existing provider to Zoho Mail is simple, and you can create custom domain email accounts for all of your employees with no downtime.
Step 1: Add and verify your domain, or buy a new domain with Zoho.
Step 2: Add users and create custom domain email accounts Import users from a CSV file or from your Active Directory.
Step 3: Create domain-based email accounts for groups, using distribution lists to allow multiple members to receive emails from common accounts like email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 4: Configure your domain’s MX records to point to Zoho Mail servers, so you can start receiving emails to your domain accounts in Zoho.
Step 5: Simultaneously start email migration for your users.
Alter The Gmail Settings
Your Gmail account is now available, but it will use the gmail.com domain on all of your emails. Change the settings to use your own domain name instead.
1. Click on the gear icon at the top-right of the Inbox to open the Settings panel.
2. Click on See all settings.
3. Click on the Accounts and Import tab in the Settings screen.
4. Look for the Send mail as section and click on Add another email address. A popup will appear.
5. Enter an email address that you created your domain and press Next Step.
6. Enter the mail client settings that you noted down from your email hosting system in your web hosting account.
7. Click on Add Account. Gmail will send a verification email to the email address that you are trying to add. Click on the link in the email, or copy the verification code shown into the field in the confirmation popup in Gmail.
8. Click on the Verify button. The popup window will close. The Accounts and Import settings tab now shows your added email address.
9. Click on make default next to your business email address.
10. Click on Inbox in the left-hand panel of the Gmail screen to get out of the Settings section.
11. Confirm that the email system in Gmail has been properly configured by sending an email to your own personal account from your new Gmail account.
12. Check that the name of the sender shows your business name and the email address is that of your own domain name and not gmail.com.
Also Check: How Do I Get An Edu Domain
Importing Your Domain Email Account Into Gmail
If you are using the Secure SSL/TLS settings, make sure you select Port 995 from the Port drop-down menu.
If you are using the Non-SSL settings, select Port 110 from the Port drop-down menu.
How To Set Up Gmail With A Custom Domain For Free
Googles Gmail system is part of the group of cloud-based business tools that really help small businesses. However, using a free Gmail address isnt very professional. Improve your businesss image by imposing your own domain name on a Gmail account.
Any business that starts up a website needs to buy a domain and that domain can also be used for business email addresses. The domain registration service is often tied into a web hosting account and those systems usually include an email account management service, where the domain name owner can send mail as the bona fide business operator rather than a hacker who just created a Gmail account with the businesss name in it.
It is possible to set up Gmail so that it will receive emails to the companys domain name and all emails sent out from the Gmail account will have the business domain name on it instead of the gmail.com domain. Many people know that this is possible with a paid Google Workspace account. However, it is also very easy to put your own domain on your emails through Gmail for free.
You May Like: How To Change Domain Registrar
Verify Domain And Set Up Email:
If the MX records have already been saved, tick the box in the G Suite setup saying I saved MX records.
To exit the setup wizard, click on the Verify domain and set up email button.
Your G Suite email account functions just like every other Gmail account. By visiting the Gmail website, you can access it, and sign in with your email address.
You could also use the Admin console to manage your G Suite account. It is where new users can be added/removed to your domain name. Each user will have a storage of 30 GB and with all the same features, but no access to the admin console will be given to them. Those users may be removed at any time you wish.
Why Custom Domain Email Address
There are no definite reasons why you have to use a custom email address.
But when you start a blog or a business, using a custom email address makes you look more credible and professional.
Too many times Ive seen bloggers are using a generic email address.
Imagine you get an email from and . Which email do you think youll more likely to open and respond to?
A professional or branded email address will increase your email open and engagement rate.
You can create different email addresses for specific needs. For example, I created for my general contact form. Besides that, I also created for my personal email address.
Custom email address makes your business more memorable to your target audience.
It helps to build your brand.
Recommended Reading: Where Should I Register My Domain Name
How To Set Up G Suite With Your Own Domain
G Suite, formerly known as Google Apps, lets you use Googles productivity suite — including Gmail, Docs, Calendar, and Drive — with your own domain name. Even if youre only interested in the email, G Suite is by far the best solution available for setting up an email account with your own domain.
G Suite offers a number of features that its competitors cant match:
- Reliability: Essentially, you wont need to worry. Your email is always going to work youll receive all emails sent to you, and the deliverability of emails youre sending others will be excellent as well.
- Security and privacy: Google obviously takes this very seriously, and you get all of the security benefits Google uses for all of its products. You also get reliable two-factor authentication.
- Spam prevention: Gmails spam prevention and machine learning are the best offered by any email service. With G Suite, you get to use this for your domains email.
- 24/7 support: This isnt a game-changing offer, but the advantage of using a company of Googles size is obvious when it comes to support — you can phone someone at any time of the day and get an answer.
G Suite is more expensive than its competitors, but at $5 per user per month, its not going to break the bank. This is the best option if you need a serious email to go with your domain name.
Setting up G Suite to provide email with your domain name requires a couple of steps: Registering for G Suite and setting up your domain.
Create Your G Suite User Account:
To create your G Suite user account, you will be prompted to enter a username and password. The username will be your first professional email address as well. So youll have to select a username that you want to use as your professional email address.
After successfully creating your G Suite account, you may now click the Go to Setup button
You can then make more accounts for your employees as the Setup screen prompts you to add more users to your account. You may also simply click on I have added all user email addresses and hit the Next button. Later on, you may always add more users to your account and create their email addresses when necessary.
If you have registered your domain name someplace else, youll now be prompted to verify your domain name ownership.
Afterward, you will see an HTML code snippet that you have to add to your website.
There are some other ways also to verify the ownership of your website. The hosting account dashboard allows you to upload an HTML file to your website using a file manager app or an FTP client.
Read Also: How Much Does A Top Level Domain Cost
Set Up Mail Forwarding
These instructions are the same for any web hosting system that uses the cPanel. That includes HostGator and Bluehost.
How To Send Emails In Gmail
Refer to the cPanel email settings you made a note of before
4. Enter the outgoing SMTP Server
5. Enter your full email address as the Username
6. Enter Password for your email account
7. Choose Secured connection using SSL. Make sure the port is changed to 465
8. Click Add Account
9. Verify your email address
10. Because we setup email forwarding before, a confirmation email will be sent to your Gmail
11. Click the confirmation link in the email or copy/paste the PIN
12. All done! You can now send and receive emails using Gmail
Also Check: How Do I Find Out Where My Domain Is Registered
Allow Gmail To Receive Emails Using Pop3
Once you have your custom email account, youre going to use something called POP3 to connect Gmail to your custom email address. Essentially, these settings let your free Gmail account import emails from your email hosting .
To get started, you need to find your emails POP3 settings. At Bluehost, you can do this by clicking the Connect Devices tab when youre editing your email account. Heres what it looks like:
If your email hosting is elsewhere, youll want to consult your services documentation or reach out to their support if you cant find your POP3 information.
- Open the Gmail settings by clicking the gear icon in the top-right corner and selecting See all settings.
- Go to the Accounts and Import tab.
- Find the Check mail from other accounts setting.
- Click Add a mail account.
That should open a popup with multiple steps.
On the next step, choose Import emails from my other account :
Enter the following information:
- Username normally, this is your full email address, but sometimes its only the part that comes before @.
- Password the password that you set when creating your custom email address.
- POP Server and Port from your email host.
- Check the Leave a copy box.
- Check the Always use a secure connection box.
- Optionally choose to add a label.
- Click Add Account to finish the process.
Setting Up Mailgun Account
Instead of paying for a Google Apps account, theres a way to add your domain to Gmail for free.
Here comes Mailgun!
Mailgun is a service that allows you to send, receive and track email automatically. Its free plan allows you to send or receive up to 10,000 emails a month.
Now, you can use your Gmail account with a custom domain email address
Head down to Mailgun and sign up for an account.
Make sure you sign up with your Gmail or other email accounts you have access to.
Dont use an email account with your custom domain to register. If you do, you will encounter a problem verifying your account.
Once youve verified and activated your account, your dashboard should look something like this.
Next, you need to add your domain to Mailgun.
To create a custom domain, you need to update your Free plan to Concept plan which still lets you sent up 10,000 emails per month for free. Click on the link the the Getting Started box to upgrade your account.
Next, simply key in your payment detail.
You can click on Domains link under Sending to view list of domains on your account. Next Add New Domain button to add a new domain.
Type in your domain name and click Add Domain button.
By default, Mailgun recommends you to use a subdomain instead of the root domain, for example, mg.typeeighty.com instead typeeighty.com.
Don’t Miss: Should I Buy Domain Privacy Protection