How To Transfer Domain Name Ownership
Every Domain Name has a Registrant and a Registrant Contact. While this may sound redundant, they play two very different roles.
The Registrant is the legal owner of the Domain Name and the Registrant Contact is the one who has access to use and manage the Domain. This means that:
- An individual, company, or organisation can be both Registrant and Registrant Contact.
- But, as the Registrant, you can choose to assign a different individual, company, or organisation as your Registrant Contact to handle domain management on your behalf.
If you want to remain as the legal owner of the Domain and just want to assign a different Registrant Contact, follow the guide below:
However, if you want to transfer the ownership of your Domain Name to a new Registrant, you have to complete a Transfer of Ownership Form, which can be downloaded via your Account Manager using the steps below:
Opt Out Of 60 Day Lock
It is standard practice for a domain to be locked for 60 days after it is registered or transferred. During this period, you will be barred from updating the name or company name associated with the domain, changing the registrant email address, or enabling/disabling privacy settings. However, there is an option to opt out of this. By default, this option will not be checked, so if you are planning to transfer the domain, you will need to log in and manually opt out of this 60-day lock.
First Step: Disabling Whois
Now that you have a baseline set and an agreement established, the process of actually transferring the domain to the other person finally begins. In order for the new registrar to accept the new domain ownership, they will need to know who is currently in charge of the domain. For them to have access to that information, you are going to need to disable WHOIS domain privacy. This is just an extension that allows you to keep certain information private when it comes to who owns the domain, but for this process, you will need to have this made public and accessible to the registrar.
You May Like: How To Transfer Wix Domain To Shopify
Re: Transfer My Domain/website To A New Owner
Hi, . Is the site the only site in your account or do you have other sites? If it’s the only site, the easiest thing to do is just change the email address on the account to the something the new owners use. You can also update the contact info on the domain to their’s, and remove your billing information.
Sign in and click if my reply answers your question.
Can Domain Information Be Altered During A Transfer
No. Thats why youll need to make sure all of the contact information, especially the contact email, is correct before you initiate the transfer. You can only change the domain contact information once the transfer is complete. If you need to change any domain information while the transfer is taking place youll need to get in touch with customer support.
Recommended Reading: Transfer Domain From Shopify To Wix
My Domain Name Registrar Denied My Request Why What Do I Do
There are a few reasons why your request may have been denied.
There could be a discrepancy between your information and that of the domain owner. Alternatively, they cant verify that youre the owner. Make sure your contact information is up to date, and be sure to send what they need from you .
The domain name owner may have sent an objection to the transfer. If youre not the domain name owner, be sure to get in contact with them to resolve the issue.
If you owe your DNS registrar any fees from previous domain purchases, they may have put your domain name on hold. Be sure to pay any outstanding amount owed.
Your domain name may still be under Lock in your portal. Make sure this setting is set on Unlocked.
Alternatively, you may be under the 60-day Change of Registrant lock, in which case youll have to wait 60 days to make the transfer.
Moving A WordPress Site
Moving WordPress from cPanel to cPanel
For WordPress sites on cPanel hosting, the fastest way to move your site is to zip everything in your public_html or www folder, upload the folder to your new web host, and add the following two lines into your WP-config:
Moving WordPress using common plugins
Alternatively, there are plenty of good migrating plugins for those who are moving WordPress site to a new web host. I like Duplicator WordPress Migration Plugin and All-in-One WP Migration for their simplicity. These plugins will help you to move, migrate, or even clone a WordPress site to a new web host with no technical knowledge required.
Moving WordPress using special-built plugins
Some web hosting companies provide their own WordPress migration plugin. For examples WP Engine Automated Migration and SiteGround Migrator these are special plugin developed for transferring WordPress sites to a designated web host. You should make use of the in-house plugins when switching to those particular companies.
Read Also: Cost Of Purchasing A Domain Name
Advice For Domain Transfer
In order to transfer domain registered elsewhere to Zone management, a transfer procedure must be initiated.
Transfer is a paid procedure, during which domain is transferred from another registrar and in most cases is renewed for one year.
Transferring a domain requires following:
- ensuring that domain is unlocked and ready for transfer
- requesting an authorization code if required
- beginning transfer via form on Zone web-site by entering a correct authorization code
- confirming the transfer by clicking the link sent via email sent at the domains contact address
Domain transfer rules depending on different top level domain registries:
Trading domain by changing contact information
Enter domain management via My Zone, choose My domains and update domain contacts.
Changing ownership via trade procedure
The owners of the European Union, Estonian or other country code top level domains must go through a trade procedure on order to change the ownership:
- new owner initiates the trade procedure
- current owner approves or declines the trade request
- if the current owner declines the trade request, ownership will not be changed.
Note: Current form cannot be used to change ownership of the domains registered via Zone. Use a separate form to change the ownership.
The rules on ownership change may vary depending on the domain:
- Changing ownership of . domain
- Changing ownership of .U domain
Common Problems With Incoming Transfers
Sometimes a transfer doesnt go through as smoothly as it should. This can be due to a number of reasons, including:
- Certain domains may have updated the auth code to something else internally. For example, the .ORG registry is quite on top of their security measures and often changes the auth code automatically. Its possible the transfer failed due to the auth code being incorrect because of that change. The .NZ registry also expires EPP codes if they are not used within a short time frame. If this is the case, the current registrar must reset the auth code. Once this completes, the domain transfer must be submitted again in your panel with the new code.
- The domain may be transfer locked. In some cases, a lock can be confirmed by querying the domains WHOIS listing and looking for the following domain status:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
- The domain may also be transfer locked due to a WHOIS registrant change, which does not always result in the above status being shown. If the transfer fails due to a transfer lock of any kind, please contact the current registrar so they can help remove the lock in either of these cases. Once the domain is fully unlocked, the transfer must be submitted as a new request in the DreamHost panel.
- In the event that a transfer-in does not complete within five days, please contact DreamHost support so they may check on status of the transfer for you and provide more detailed information.
You May Like: Transfer Godaddy Domain To Wix
Why Do People Transfer Domain Names
There are plenty of reasons one might become disgruntled with ones current registrar and choose to switch to another. After all, not all registrars are created equal. Most will offer packages that include different features, with different prices and different levels of reliability. Some offer superior customer support, while other user interfaces are easier to navigate.
Send Over Any Files Related To Your Website
Most of us accumulate a lot of files related to the websites we run throughout their lives. For example, think about your logo, which you probably have stored on your computer in multiple formats and resolutions. Chances are your websites new owner would need those logo files, as well as any others that help him or her run things more efficiently. Other examples of files you might want to send over include:
- Custom icons youve used previously.
- Your websites style guide, if it has one.
- Any other image assets youve used in your websites design.
Once you identify all these files, you should pack them up nicely in a zipped file and send them via email. You can also upload them to your server via FTP while you still have access to it. That way, the new owner will be able to access them whenever needed.
Also Check: How Much To Purchase A Domain Name
Transferring From One Hover Account To Another
To transfer ownership of a domain name between two Hover accounts, the process is a lot more straightforward:
1. Contact Hover.
Email or call 1-866-731-6556 and let us know that youd like to transfer your domain.
2. Obtain a one-time PIN.
Well email you a unique PIN to the primary email contact within your Hover account.
3. Provide Hover with your PIN.
Contact us and verify the PIN that we sent you.
4. Tell us the account youd like to transfer the domain to.
If the domains new owner already has a Hover account, we can verify that account by sending another unique PIN to the primary email address in that account. If the new owner does not have a Hover account, we can create a new one for them. Follow the steps above to transfer your domain name. Once you do that, you might need a new domain name for yourself and we definitely have you covered on that front. Check out the hundreds of domains available and get started on a new online journey with a brand new domain name, customized to you and your brand.
How Can I Move A Domain From One Namecheap Account To Another
You can move a domain to another Namecheap account using the Change Ownership option.
Once the domain is completely moved to another account, the new domain holder becomes responsible for all the domain payments.
Some tips that should be considered before a domain push:
1) You don’t have to wait for 60 days to move a domain to another Namecheap account, either from the moment of registration or previous transfer.
2) The domain ownership change is final, and we will not be able to reverse it. If you need the domain back, please contact the new owner in this regard.
3) It is not possible to move expired domain names between Namecheap accounts. They should be renewed first.
4) Domain Privacy/PremiumDNS subscriptions can be pushed between Namecheap accounts only along with the domain.
5) It is not possible to push Apps subscriptions alongside the domain name. Such subscriptions will remain in the previous owner’s account.
6) Domains listed in our Marketplace should be removed from the listing beforehand, otherwise, the push will not be completed.
7) It is impossible to move a domain to a person indicated as a manager in the section. Thus, remove the manager before moving the domain to his/her account.
8) If you choose the “Use new owner’s contacts” option for Registrant Contact, make sure that the destination user has account details filled in correctly before changing the ownership.
Domain ListManageSharing & TransferChange OwnershipChange Registrant ContactNOTE
Don’t Miss: How Much For A Domain Name
Why Transfer To Domaincom
Domain.com is one of the leading registrars in the industry for a reason. We offer the ability to easily manage your domains from a single, user-friendly platform. We also offer a comprehensive set of features for all of your needs under a straightforward pricing structure, with fantastic customer service to boot.
Who Else Might Own My Domain
The first place to check is with whoever built your website in the olden days, it was quite common for web designers to register the domain to themselves without realising that this could be a problem. In most cases, it was a genuine mistake and asking for the domain ownership to be transferred to the client was all that was needed to put things right. However, we have come across a few examples of web designers refusing to release the domain because they were unhappy that the client was moving on to a new web designer. As a result, even if youre really happy with your web designer, its always worth checking to see who owns your domain.
Updating The Owner Information
If you need to update some secondary information such as phone number, address etc., you do not have to start a trade procedure. It can be edited directly in the OVHcloud Control Panel.
In the Plan section of the General information tab, click on … next to the contacts, then click Refresh owner information.
With this operation you do not need to confirm changes by email.
Transferring Io Domain Registrations
When transferring a .IO TLD to DreamHost, you may receive a message from “Key Systems GmbH” indicating that the domain has successfully transferred to them.
This is a normal step as Key Systems is the technology partner that eNom uses to to facilitate .IO domain transfers to DreamHost.
If you have any questions, Contact Support.
Three: Transfer Authorization Code
After you have completed the process of unlocking your domain, the next step is to locate your transfer authorization code. This is a code that should only be available to the current owner of the domain name . Depending on the registrar, it may be in different locations of your registrars platform. When it doubt, your best option is to simply get in touch with your registrar and discuss where you might be able to find this. Keep in mind, there may be different names being used for this specific type of password, such as EPP key, secret code, or auth code.