Requirements: A Minecraft Server And Your Own Domain
If youre just starting out, youll first need to create a Minecraft server. To do this, install the free server software on a server you have rented. If you have rented a Windows server, you must make sure that Java is also installed on it. Finally, after you have released the corresponding port and entered the IP address in the game client, you and other players can enjoy Minecraft in multiplayer mode together.
In our detailed tutorial on Minecraft server setup you will find detailed step-by-step instructions as well as all system requirements. These include a powerful server. For smooth enjoyment of Minecraft even with many players, we recommend, for example, a Cloud Server from IONOS.
You still need your own domain. At IONOS you can register a suitable domain name with just a few clicks. Especially for servers in the gaming sector one of the new domain extensions would be especially suitable. For example, one of these top-level domains:
But there are many more new top level domains and exclusive domain extensions that can go well with your Minecraft server. For example, when creating your domain, also think about puns or highlight the local character of your game world.
You can check directly if your desired address is still available. If you buy a domain at IONOS, you will get an SSL certificate and an email inbox on top of it.
Which Is Best For You
- Custom Domain – This allows you to use the domain itself as your server address. This option is best if you do not have a domain yet.
- Custom Subdomain – If you already own a domain but you cannot use this as your server IP, you may instead use a custom subdomain . A subdomain as a server IP is ideal to use if the main domain is pointing to your server’s website.
- Free Subdomain – Since most domains require for you to pay for its registration, you may opt for a free alternative using subdomain creators. This allows you to use a subdomain as your server IP without having to pay for the domain itself. You can create one for your server using Shockbyte’s Subdomain Creator.
If you choose to use a custom domain or subdomain, you will need to create an A and SRV record through your domain registrar’s DNS manager.
Once your domain is ready, please refer to our tutorials below depending on your specific domain registrar or DNS manager:
How To Connect Your Domain To A Minecraft Server
Don’t Miss: Cost To Purchase A Domain Name
S To Create A Minecraft Server On Vps
Understanding how to make a Minecraft server on VPS can be a bit intimidating, especially if you lack SSH command knowledge, however, youll only require a couple of basic lines and a few minutes to start hosting users, friends, or a Minecraft community on your own VPS. The following steps will guide you through the setup process of your own Minecraft server on a CentOS 7 VPS using simple SSH commands.
Firewalling Nats And External Ip Addresses
- You must open a TCP/UDP port on the firewall.
- If the server in question is not reachable via a globally routable IP address, you will need to add appropriate address and/or port number translation rules to the gateway usually your router has the global IP address.
Local network dedicated servers
This only applies to Classic servers.
To correct this, you must add a function to the end of your URL, bookmarks, or whatever else you connect by. The function is: ?override=trueExample:
Note: This situation does not effect Beta servers, and you should be able to connect via an internal or external IP.
The SRV record
To manually verify the SRV record, use :
Don’t Miss: How Much Does It Cost For A Domain Name
Is There A Way To Have A Domain Name Point To A Minecraft Server And Website
I have a website for my Minecraft server. I need to set the same domain name up for both. So, if I went to my browser and typed www.ChaoticMC.com it would take me to my Website and if I was in Minecraft and I typed in chaoticmc.com it would take me to my server. I have already done the Minecraft server part but I can’t figure out how to do the Website part too. I hope I posted this question in the correct place if not, I am sorry.
- You posted the question in the right place. Your problem is that your question is poorly formatted. Take a look at how to ask and try to edit your question to fit our standards!Oct 4, 2017 at 16:10
- When you fix your question, you’ll likely get more answers and less downvotes!
What you want to do is possible, but not necessarily a good idea. Using an SRV record, you can have a web server and Minecraft server on the same address. Some computer configurations will not see SRV records, and players with those configurations will not be able to connect to your server. If this doesn’t concern you, then you can carry on, otherwise just use separate domains. It’s less hassle.
Minecraft supports SRV records, but browsers don’t, so you’ll need to replace your existing DNS record with one for your web server.
First, create a separate A or AAAA record that points to your Minecraft server. It doesn’t matter what you name it, as long as it’s different from your web server. Let’s say it’s “play.chaoticmc.com”.
Setting Up The Minecraft Srv Record
A SRV record for Minecraft has the following format:
_minecraft._tcp.name TTL class SRV priority weight port target
- name: the domain name for which this record is valid.
- TTL: standard DNS time to live field.
- class: standard DNS class field .
- priority: the priority of the target host, lower value means more preferred.
- weight: A relative weight for records with the same priority.
- port: the TCP/UDP port where the Minecraft server is hosted on.
- target: the host name of the machine providing the service.
If your DNS provider asks for service, put in _minecraft and if it asks for proto or protocol, put in _tcp.
For example, if your server is hosted on 184.108.40.206 port 25565, the SRV record in textual form in a zone file will be the following:
_minecraft._tcp.mc 3600 IN SRV 0 5 25565 mc1.reliablesite.netmc1IN A 220.127.116.11
This points to a server named mc1.reliablesite.net redirecting to a Minecraft server running on 18.104.22.168 on port 25565. The priority is set to 0, and the weight is set to 5.
Similar to MX records, the target in SRV records must point to hostname with an address record. Pointing to a hostname with a CNAME record is not a valid configuration.
Once this goes through, you will be able to run multiple servers on just 1 IP without burdening any players.
Also Check: How Much Does It Cost To Buy A Website Domain
Download And Start The Minecraft Server Software
It comes as a Java .jar file. Save it to the location you chose in the previous step.
Double-click the .jar file to start the server. Itll create the server configuration files, which need to be modified before the server is ready to use.
Accept the EULA: A text file called eula.txt was created. Open the file in a text editor and change eula=false to eula=true. Failing to accept the EULA will prevent you from starting the Minecraft server.
What if you see a Cant save server properties error? Run the Minecraft server as an administrator by right clicking the .jar file and selecting Run as administrator.
Download The Minecraft Server Software
Open TextEdit. Set the format to plain text. Enter the following:
exec java -Xms1G -Xmx1G -jar nogui
Save the file as start.command in the same folder where the servers .jar file is located.
Open the Terminal and grant permissions for the new start.command file so it can be run. Type chmod a+x with a space after the command. Drag and drop the start.command file into the terminal window. Press Enter.
Don’t Miss: How To Transfer Domain From Wix To Shopify
Enable Port Forwarding On Your Router
Note: Port forwarding can be a security risk.
If youre just hosting a server for players on your local network, you dont need to worry about port forwarding. If, however, you want to make your server accessible to the world, youll need to enable port forwarding on your router.
Refer to your routers documentation to find specific instructions on how to configure port forwarding for your device. For Minecraft, youll need to forward TCP port 25565.
Youll also need to enter your servers local IP address as the Output IP or Server IP for the forwarded port. This tells the router which device to point at. To find your servers local IP, open a command prompt and enter ipconfig.
Agree To The Minecraft Eula And Set Server Properties
We’ll start by adjusting the configuration files before starting the server. The first file to open is the Minecraft EULA. The EULA is the document you are agreeing to when running the Minecraft Server.
To accept the end user license agreement, open the EULA txt file and update eula=false to eula=true. Save the file.
To adjust server settings, open the server properties file and save the file once the necessary changes have been made. If you’re wondering how to adjust server settings, the server properties file determines key server settings like server port, memory, and in game settings. Port 25565 is the default server port.
You May Like: Transfer Domain From Shopify To Wix
Why Run Multiple Minecraft Servers On A Single Ip
Its been a growing trend to see customers requesting an IP for each Minecraft server they run. This is mainly due to wanting to run each server on the default port , so that there is no confusion for players on how to access the server. While that is a major plus for usability and lack of complexity for new players, it does add to the operational costs.
- IP Space There are very few IP blocks left in the world, so you can expect the cost of a single IP to increase 2 to 5 times once supply dries out and demand increases.
- DDoS Protection Protection is typically sold on a per-IP basis as this is how most companies asses risk and usage for their systems. So basically, the more IPs protected, the bigger of a target the server is. Protecting a single IP with multiple servers on it will give you major cost savings. .
The good news is that Minecraft now supports SRV records, eliminating the port woes for players. You can set up multiple Minecraft servers on 1 IP, running on different ports, and set up a SRV record to automatically direct a player to the right port.
How To Connect A Domain
This article will guide you through the process of setting up your server with a custom domain from GoDaddy. Before proceeding with this knowledgebase article, please check on your control panel for whether or not your server is utilizing a dedicated IP. A dedicated IP makes the numerical IP for your server end with 25565. If you have something else at the end of your numerical IP you do not have a dedicated IP.Example of Dedicated IP and normal IP:
1. Login to your GoDaddy account.
2. Once you’re logged into GoDaddy, go to your Products page here.You will see the domain you purchased listed here.
3. Click the “DNS” button to edit your domain records.
4. On that page, locate the “Records” section.
If you’re using Enjin and/or CloudFlare as your nameservers. You need to configure your DNS with them and not NameCheap. If not, you may continue on the next step.
5. To begin, you will need to create a new “A Record”.Click “ADD” and under “Type *” select “A” for A Record.
6. In the “A Record” settings, enter your subdomain in the first field labeled “Host*”.
If you want your players to connect using mc.yourdomain.com. In the “Host*” field type “mc”.
- If you want your players to connect using play.yourdomain.com. In the “Host*” field type “play”.
7. Enter server’s IP in the next field labeled “Points to*”.
8. Your “A Record” is now setup! Press “Save” to save that record.
10. If you do not use a Dedicated IP, you must now create an “SRV record”.
Also Check: How To Unlock Godaddy Domain For Wix
Getting Started With A Custom Minecraft Domain Name
Before you start, you need three things.
In this tutorial, the dns zone file will be edited with the Cpanel zone file editor.
Once you have your custom Minecraft domain registered and you have a Cpanel hosted account which allows you to edit the dns settings for the custom domain, you are ready to start configuring the zone file.
NOTE: The default port for Minecraft servers is: 25565 but if you have a different port, then obviously in the steps below insert your custom Minecraft port.
How To Connect Your Domain To Minecraft Using Srv Records
Do you have a Minecraft server you’d like to link to your domain, but your Minecraft server runs on a different IP address from your web server or on a non-standard port? No problem! Here at Porkbun, we make it easy, so you can worry about more important things
To get started, you’ll need to know the IP address and port number of your Minecraft server, and you’ll need to think of a subdomain to be the secret hostname of your server .
That’s it! You should now be able to connect to your Minecraft server just by specifying your root domain in the Minecraft client. For more information, check out this excellent article:
You May Like: How Much Does It Cost To Register A Domain Name