You Can Still Find Cheaper Alternatives
While Google Domains transparent pricing is quite competitive, you can still find cheaper alternatives for some domain extensions. This really does depend on the extension, though. For example, Google Domains is one of the most affordable options for .org domains, but pretty pricey for .io domains.
Lets look at some examples so you can see how Google Domains stacks up:
- Namecheap $10.98
- GoDaddy $17.99
- Domain.com $9.99
- Namecheap $32.88
- GoDaddy $59.99
- Domain.com $49.99
Use Custom Name Servers
You can use name servers other than those provided by default in Google Domains. If you decide to use custom name servers, you must set up your resource records through your name server provider.
Most Top-level Domains require from 2 to 12 name servers. Multiple name servers ensure that if theres a problem with one name server, other servers make sure your website still functions.
Set up more name servers:
How To Register A Domain Name With Google
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 16 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time.The wikiHow Tech Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 148,511 times.Learn more…
Google has recently launched its domain registration service, meaning you can now purchase domain names through Google just like you would through GoDaddy or another domain registrar. If you already have a website and domain, getting registered and indexed with Google Search can increase your visibility and traffic. Keep in mind that Google Domains might not be available in your country, so check that out.
You May Like: Transfer Shopify Domain To Another Host
Purchasing A Domain Through Google
Google Domains Vs Namecheap
If youre trying to choose between Google Domains vs Namecheap, the picture isnt quite as clear.
Namecheap offers a competitive service with:
- Regular prices that are still competitive with Google Domains, while also offering generous first-year discounts.
- Free included domain privacy, just like Google Domains.
- A complementary hosting service ,
- A larger selection of domain extensions.
Google Domains still has plenty going for it, like its integration with other Google services and Google DNS. But honestly, you wont go wrong with either Namecheap or Google Domains.
In fact, when we polled our Twitter followers about their favorite registrars, Namecheap actually beat out Google Domains:
You May Like: How Much To Buy A Domain Name
Create Spf Dkim And Dmarc Records
For security reasons, we recommend adding SPF and DKIM records. Setting up DMARC is an optional, advanced feature.
SPF and DMARC records are set up similarly to TXT records.
1. Access the DNS section and scroll down to Custom resource records.
2. To create the SPF record, locate the verification TXT and select Edit.
Once selected, click on the + icon and enter and save this SPF value:v=spf1 include:_spf.protonmail.ch mx ~all
3. To create the DKIM record, enter the following values:
Name: protonmail._domainkeyType: CNAME RecordTTL:Select a low value to update your DNS record faster.Data: Go back to the ProtonMail custom domain setup window. Copy the text in the VALUE / DATA / POINTS TO column and paste it in the Data field.
To add a second and third DKIM record, repeat these steps with the appropriate record names protonmail2._domainkey and protonmail3._domainkey.
4. To create the DMARC record, repeat the steps and enter these values
Name: _dmarcTTL:Select a low value to update your DNS record faster.Data: v=DMARC1 p=none rua=mailto:email@example.com
Create Mx Records In Google Domains
1. Similar to the steps above, access the DNS section, scroll down to Custom resource records and create the following record:
Name: @ Type: MXTTL:Select a low value to update your DNS record faster.Data: 10 mail.protonmail.ch
3. Create a second MX record using these values:
Name: @ Type: MXTTL:Select a low value to update your DNS record faster.Data: 20 mailsec.protonmail.ch
Don’t Miss: Cost To Purchase A Domain Name
How To Use Google Domains
Over the next couple of sections, were going to show you how Google Domains works with regard to registering a domain name.
It wont take long, and by the end youll have the skills you need to grab your own domain from Google. After, well also look at how Google Domains stacks up against other registrars, and give you the scoop on whether the service is worth using.
Setting Up Your Domain In The Google Domains Account
To finish linking your Ecwid Instant Site with your domain, you should make changes in your domain settings and point the domain to your Ecwid site. For that, you need to add an A record and a CNAME record in your domain host account.
To point the domain to your Ecwid site:
Thats it, your domain is set up. It may take up to 48 hours for the changes to propagate. After that, your store will open with and without www via secure HTTPS connection .
Awesome! Thanks for your feedback!
Thanks for your feedback!
Don’t Miss: How To Find Email Domain And Server
How Custom Google Sites Domains Work
There are two ways you can have your own customized domain name that points to your Google Sites website.
- Select a domain from Google Domains: If you purchased your own domain through , youll see an option in the process below to choose that domain through the wizard.
- Use a domain from a third party: If you purchased your domain through another registrar like GoDaddy, youll need to choose the third party option in the wizard.
In this guide, youll learn how to step through the process to link your domain, regardless of where you registered it, to your Google Sites website.
Note: You cant link any domain that you dont own to your Google Sites website. If you want to link a friends domain to your site, youll need to get permission from them and assist you with the steps to verify ownership.
Google Domains Is Strictly A Domain Registration Service
They allow you to claim, register, transfer & manage domain names plus allow your domain to resolve via their DNS servers.
Google does not offer complementary services such as web hosting in the traditional sense.
Google does have a simple website builder with , but for most is too limited. They also have email and business services through . Google Suite does require a custom domain name to get started.
Ill explore this point more later below, but its important to understand Googles purpose with .
They want getting online simpler & less daunting for very small and/or less tech-savvy businesses that means getting these businesses a domain name.
And even further, it means making the process of getting a domain as simple & transparent as possible.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does It Cost To Register A Domain
Can You Transfer Domains
Google Domains lets you transfer domains easily. Before you can transfer a Google Domains, you must prepare it for transfer by unlocking the domain and getting an authorization code from the owner of the domain.
Follow these steps to transfer a domain into Google Domains:
Setting Up Your Domain In The Ecwid Admin
To link your domain with your Ecwid Instant Site, you should first specify your custom domain name in your Ecwid admin.
To specify a domain name:
Also Check: What To Do After Buying A Domain
Issues And Resolutions For Your Custom Domain
There are a number of other reasons your custom domain may not link properly to your site. Try the following fixes to get it working.
- Give the CNAME entry youve made a day or two to take effect. If this doesnt work, move on to the next fix.
- Double check the URL you entered in the wizard for your custom domain name and ensure that it actually matches your registered domain, without any typos. Make sure to include www in the URL.
- Make sure you havent already registered your domain with any like Blogger or the previous version of Google Sites .
- If youre trying to map more than 20 URLs, it wont work. You are limited to mapping 20 custom domains to your Google Site page.
Now that youve pointed your domain to your Google Sites website, your visitors can visit your site using a typical customized URL just like any other regular website on the internet.
Ryan has been writing how-to and other technology-based articles online since 2007. He has a BSc degree in Electrical Engineering and he’s worked 13 years in automation engineering, 5 years in IT, and now is an Apps Engineer. Read Ryan’s Full Bio
Does Google Domains Work For Email
Yes! Google Domains makes a great option for creating your own custom email address. Btw, do you need to find someones email address? Here are a few solid tricks.
There are two ways to use emails with Google Domains:
- Built-in email forwarding: Free, create up to 100 email aliases and forward them to your existing accounts. You can send emails from these aliases using Gmail or any other email client.
- Email hosting with Google Workspace From $6 per month you can easily integrate with Google Workspace for hosted email, 30 GB of storage, and more to have a professional email address. .
You May Like: How Much Does It Cost To Buy A Web Domain
Check Out And Purchase Your Domain Name
Once youve added your domain name to your cart, open your cart to check out.
Google Domains will show you a summary of your cart, along with two options, both of which are enabled by default:
- Privacy protection: this 100% free service keeps your personal information private. We recommend leaving this on.
- Auto-renew: auto-renew ensures you dont accidentally forget to renew and lose your domain. This is totally up to you, but we recommend leaving it on if you have long-term plans for your domain name.
Once youve made your choices, click the Check out button:
On the checkout page, youll need to enter your contact information. But remember: as long as you left the free privacy protection feature enabled, this information wont be public.
Then, enter your payment information to finalize your purchase:
Google Domains: How To Use It And Whether It Beats The Competition
Last Updated on: Tom Rankin
Choosing your domain name is important. Without the perfect .com, traffic will be hard to come by. Though, its just as vital to choose the right domain registrar. While there are lots of services available, theres one that on paper has a big edge Google Domains.
Of course, the registrar has a big tech company at the head the biggest priority for Alphabet Inc., Google. As such, theres a tempting lure for the registrar. After all, who better than Google to provide you with your own domain name? The answer is complex though, and there is tough competition within the marketplace.
Over the next few sections, were going to look at Google Domains, and find out how it works. Were also going to look at where it sits compared to other registrars, and sum up to give up a definitive answer.
Also Check: How Much Is It To Buy A Domain Name