How Do I Find A Domain Name For Myself
Hostinger offers a domain name search tool to help you find a suitable domain. Simply enter a domain name of your choice in the search box and press Enter. Our system will then display a list of available TLDs or extensions based on your suggestion.If your preferred domain name is already registered, choose another extension or try coming up with different variations using your brand name. Once you find your unique domain name, you can claim it by proceeding with domain registration.
What Is A Second Level Domain
Second level domains are the most important part of the URL, as that is the part visitors and customers will need to remember, so make sure it is memorable. This part represents your business online. The Second Level Domain is directly to the left of the domain suffix, also known as the top level domain.
The Difference Is Important And Not Just To Web Experts
Knowing how your domain name, the URL and your website all work together to drive traffic for your business is like knowing the basics of the systems in your house, like how to check a fuse. If anything dire occurs, you can lean on the help of professionals, but knowing the basics helps you explain issues to an expert, or fix minor issues yourself to get back to business more quickly.
If your website is not properly displaying on your domain, the most likely reason is an improperly mapped to the right Domain Name Server , which means your domain and website arent properly synced and cant talk to each other. Check to make sure your domain is accurately pointed to your website through both your registrar account and your website provider. If the website is still not showing, customer support should be able to get you back online.
Also Check: How To Make A Domain Name For Free
How Do You Choose An Seo
Search Engine Optimization is a list of various tools and procedures that help make your website one of the first results when searching the web for a specific keyword on a search engine such as Google or Bing. One of the things that can help with SEO is the choice of a domain name as well.
Keep the following in mind for an SEO-friendly domain name:
- Keep It Short â the shorter the domain name is, usually, the easier to remember, type, or search. If youâre using social media, itâs less likely to get additionally shortened when mentioned.
- Intuitive or Brandable â Your domain name should be able to give an idea of what your site is about at-a-glance.
- Append the Name â If a domain name youâve decided on is not available, itâs okay to add a suffix or a prefix to it such as toysonline.com or, toysonline.eu.
- â.comâ or not? â â.comâ is still used with the majority of websites online these days. Search engines donât necessarily have a preference for this specific TDL, but the general population seems to âtrustâ sites that use â.comâ more. If the â.comâ TLD is not available for your chosen Second Level Domain, â.netâ, or â.orgâ could be valid choices as well. If those arenât available, the next best option would be choosing an appropriate ccTDL.
- Careful About Trademarks â Make sure your domain name cannot be confused with another brand, especially in your vertical, as that company can later take legal action against you.
Choose The Best Domain Name Option
When youre checking for available domain names, youll often find that your first, second, and tenth choices are already taken. Some of the different approaches you can take when this happens are:
- Keep searching. Let your creative juices flow, and continue to search until you find something you love or at least like.
- Choose another extension. If the .com isnt available and youre set on a certain name, consider the .net or .org if you think it will work.
- Reach out to the owner. Maybe the domain is already owned, but its not being put to much use. You could reach out to the owner with an offer.
Don’t Miss: Is Online A Good Domain
Why Do You Need A Domain Name
Any business, organization or individual striving to establish online presence should own a domain name. A combination of a domain name, website, and email addresses forms your unique identity online. That, in turn, helps your business create a professional look, increase brand awareness, build credibility, and protect your trademarks and copyrights.
How Much Does A Domain Name Cost
When you buy a domain name through domain registrars, you register it for one year with the option of a multi-year registration. You will be able to renew your domain name registration when the initial period finishes, and will usually be alerted by the registrar to do so. Domain names are also sometimes included in your web hosting plan and if not, usually offered by your hosting company.
Domains purchased through Mailchimp are priced based on the TLD you choose, such as .com or .net.
A domain name with a common top-level domain, such as .com, can be had for as low as $12.99 per year, and promotions are often available. Internet domains purchased through Mailchimp also come with free WHOIS privacy protection and a Secure Sockets Layer certificate to provide your website with free verification and encryption.
You do need to have a web hosting plan to put your site online, but you dont need to have hosting to purchase a domain. Assuming you have a business or blog name in mind, its possible to reserve your brands name for the future by purchasing and registering your domain name now. Then youll have plenty of time to consider how to build your website.
Also Check: How To Change Domain Name Of Website
How To Choose A Domain Name
- Choose a name thats easy to type and pronounce. If people struggle to spell it or pronounce it correctly, it will affect the memorability of the name and hurt your brand.
- Pick a domain name that can be turned into a brand. You dont want exact and partial keyword match domain names because theyre too generic and very difficult to brand. You should also steer clear from numbers and hyphens in your domain name theyre too difficult to remember and pronounce.
- Keep it short and simple. Long, complex domain names run a huge risk of being mistyped and misspelled. Thats just an unnecessary headache.
- Avoid names that can be confused with existing brands. If you think you can piggyback on some other brands success, youre hugely mistaken. Brand confusion will be the least of your concerns when you get sued!
- Use an appropriate extension.With the new TLDs rocking the internet, youd think everyones going for something as eye-catching as .boutique. Yet the prevailing advice among marketers is to stick to the old good .com, merely because its the most recognized suffix outside the tech world. If youre targeting a local market, then ccTLDs is probably a better choice for your business.
- Choose a name that indicates what your business does.You must be careful not to get too literal. But a clever domain name that suggests to consumers what they can expect to find when they land on your site is a great advantage to any business.
Why People Visit Websites
When it comes to websites vs .domains, in most cases, people will go to a website for two main reasons:
- To do: Online visitors surf the web for a variety of motivations such as killing time, looking for entertainment, seeking to buy an item or service, communicating with others, interacting with social media, or paying a bill.
- To learn: We have access to the entirety of the worlds knowledge through a small device we carry in our pockets. People visiting websites may do so to find a movie time, clear up an argument, or locate the address of the nearest gas station.
At its essence, a website is your way of communicating who your business is to consumers that you will likely never meet in person. When creating a website, it is important that you know your audience and cater your website towards them, towards what they want and need. A website is not only meant to attract people to whatever it is you are trying to sell but to help convince them that they need whatever that is. Therefore, it should be organized in such a way that it is pleasing to the eye, easy and intuitive to navigate, and clearly conveys what you are providing.
Don’t Miss: How To Figure Out Who Owns A Domain
My New Website And Domain Name: What Did It Cost
Finally, I have built an all-in-one-place website for my author/speaker/blogger brand and platform, and obtained my own domain name! Now people will be able to find me, whether theyre approaching from the direction of me as author, speaker, or outreach worker to Jehovahs Witnesses .
My official online identity is now briandalepope.com. How about that? I cant help thinking of Steve Martin in The Jerk, rejoicing that his name was in the new phone book. Im somebody!
One thing I have learned from those whom I consider trusted advisors to self-published authors is that, for effective publicity, you need an author brand, along with a unique domain name and web platform that enables people to connect with your products in a simple way. So I did some comparison and read some reviews of various web-hosting platforms, and ended up going with Wix.
Next Question: How much does it cost? Well, it can actually be free. I built the site and approved it, and they put it online for free, but with their own clunky web address. What costs is claiming a more appropriate domain name, one that is concise, memorable, and makes sense to my followers. They offered various plans to go with a custom, personalized domain name. I requested briandalepope.com, and considered which plan made sense for me. I chose the 2nd tier, because it came with some protection against hackers.
Stay tuned as I continue to share my journey with you, showing you how to be a frugal author!
Register A Domain And Then Build A Website For Your Business
There are a variety of differences between a website and a domain, but both are vital components to creating a successful online presence. Your online success starts with a fantastic domain and an equally impressive website.
Domain.com has the tools you need to continue building your business into a success.
Content Marketing Strategist working in the digital marketing industry. Skilled in SEO-focused content creation, keyword research and competitive analysis, interactive content, web content optimization, and landing page creation.
Also Check: What Is A Domain Host Site
Should My Domain Name Match My Business Name
Youre not required to buy a domain name that matches your business name, but you can bet that its a good idea. Especially when it comes to SEO, search engine optimization, its a wise idea to match your domain name to your business name it helps to build your reputation. You can even use your domain name for your business email address for consistency and the most professional look. But keep in mind, if your business name is very long and hard to pronounce, will your customers know how to type it out? If not, consider abbreviations or close alternatives. Pro tip: your domain name should pass the radio test if people only heard your domain name on the radio and never saw it written out, could they spell it correctly and get to your site?
How Do You Choose A Second Level Domain
If youâve ever thought about owning a website, youâve most definitely thought about the second level domain. Choosing the best domain for your new business is a tricky process that requires brainstorming and some creative thinking.
Just like choosing the name for your new business in general, you will want your domain name to stand out among other competitors. You will want something professional, but also easy to remember, easy to say, and at least slightly original. Maybe catchy, too.
Additionally, for the most professional look, your website and email should use the same domain, and it should resemble the business name as closely as possible. If the actual business name is too long, abbreviations can be used as well.
The thing about domains is that youâd also need to check for the specific domainâs availability. The Internet has become a crowded place. Most of the simplest, self-explanatory domains are already taken, or up for sale, for exuberant prices. You can use tools such as Instant Domain Search to find which names are taken and which are available instantly.
Also Check: How To Buy A Domain Name That Is Taken
How To Pick A Good Domain Name
This is a hard one and needs you to get extremely creative. Its difficult to find a good domain name that hasnt already been registered. Given the sheer number of websites on the internet, most of the names you come up with are likely already taken, especially in the .com space.
Nevertheless, its crucial to come up with a name thats unique and matches your brand. Importantly, it should be easy-to-remember. You can go with your own name for a personal blog or service. For other cases, a name that indicates your websites purpose would be best. For more help, you can refer to this post.
Before you search for a domain name, zero in on a keyword thats appropriate for a website. Its great if you can find a domain name that includes this keyword. You can also check out many online tools or blog name generators to come up with a domain name.
We recommend you to check our Blog Name Generator Tool.
Once you decide to register a domain name, you may think about registering it across multiple TLDs, to avoid messy copyright issues in the future.
Whats The Difference Between Domain And Hosting
Do you want to know the difference between domain and hosting? Wondering why these two often come together? Most beginners have these thoughts, while some even dont know that theyre separate things.
Thats mainly because domain name and web hosting are required together to set up a website. However, theyre not one thing.
In this article, well explain what domain and hosting are, how they work, and how they are different from one another.
You May Like: What Is Web Hosting Vs Domain
How To Keep A Domain Name Secure
Once a domain name has been registered with a registrar, that registrar is in charge of notifying the registrant when their domain is about to expire and giving them the chance to renew, ensuring they dont lose their domain name. In some cases registrars will prey on their users by buying those domains the second they expire and then selling them back to the original registrant at an exorbitant price. Its important to choose an honest and trustworthy registrar to avoid these kinds of predatory practices.