Pointing The Name Servers To Your Account
While the hosting account may now know that its supposed to have the domain, your domain registrar doesnt. You need to alert your domain registrar to allow the hosting account to access and host your domain. To do this, you need to go to your registrar and give them the name servers you were given for the domain.
Each registrar is different, so look at your registrars documentation for the specific steps to this process. If you used Pair Domains as your registrar, you can find the steps in their Changing Name Servers article.
Give the changes 24 to 48 hours to be processed. After this period of time, your domain should be successfully added and ready to host a website.
In The Websites Panel
The Advantages Of WordPress
- Simplicity: Easily create a WordPress blog or responsive website without needing any technical knowledge. WordPress is suitable for both novice users and web experts.
- Customisation: Access a wide range of tools, and choose a suitable WordPress theme. You can also get free extensions to customise your website or blog, and make it match your brand image.
- Community: WordPress is the most popular CMS on the market, and has a strong community that values sharing and helping one another. By checking the official forum for your future optimisations, you will also discover new tips and the latest plugins that are essential to your project.
- Organic SEO: WordPress helps you optimise your SEO ranking. Its environment simplifies the way you manage your content, which means you get a higher ranking in search engines. You can also add SEO plugins to get advanced features, and further improve your organic SEO.
Read Also: Shopify Transferring Domain
What You Need Before Installing WordPress
Before starting the process, it is important to meet the basic requirements to install the platform. Remember that there is a big difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.ORG. WordPress.org is a downloadable software and with many more possibilities and better performance.
Both tools involve a small financial investment to start.
Choose The Best Domain Name
WordPress.com makes it easy to set up your domain name, but choosing one can prove more challenging than it sounds. Even if you already own a business with an established brand, it might be more effective to use a different name for a domain. How do you choose? Luckily, there is a set of golden rules that you should know and follow:
You May Like: Can I Transfer My Wix Website To Shopify
How To Create A WordPress Website In 3 Steps
We will guide you through everything, from reserving a domain name to publishing your first webpages with WordPress. Follow the step-by-step tutorial below to get your website online in just a few minutes.
1. Choose a web hosting plan and domain name
Before you can create a WordPress website or blog, you need to choose a domain name and a web hosting plan that works best for you. We offer more than 800 domain name extensions, so you can choose the very best domain name for your project. It should be easy to remember, and give your visitors a clear idea of what you offer. Furthermore, when you choose an OVHcloud web hosting plan, your domain name is free for the first year. You can reserve a new domain name, or transfer an existing one to us.
A web hosting plan is vital for putting your website online, and making it accessible on the internet. Our solutions deliver everything you need to run your web project properly at an affordable price, and with no advertising on your website. To create your WordPress blog or website, we recommend opting for a Personal or Professional web hosting plan.
2. Install WordPress
3. Configure WordPress
First, you will receive a confirmation email containing essential information, such as the link for accessing your WordPress admin interface, and the credentials you need to use. When you first log in, after you have given your project a title, you can immediately start configuring your own website or blog with WordPress.
Create A New Database And Users
Next, youll need to create a new database with users for your subdomain. You can do this in your cPanel by locating the Databases section of your dashboard:
Depending on your host, you might have the option to use a MySQL Database wizard. Otherwise, you can simply click on MySQL Databases. Youll be taken to a page with information about your current databases, and the option to create new databases and users:
Once you set up the database and users for your subdomain, you just need to make sure you take the final step and actually assign your new users to the subdomain. In addition, youll need to enter your database name and information later during the installation process, so you might want to keep it handy.
You May Like: Cost To Purchase A Domain Name
How To Add Another Website To Your Account
In order to add another website to your WordPress Hosting account, you would need to log into your cPanel interface and then add an addon domain. Follow the steps below to create an addon domain.
The domain name that you use for your added website must be registered with a domain registrar in order to be recognized on the internet. You can register through any qualified domain registrar and then point the domain name to InMotions nameservers.
Choose The Type Of Installation
If you want to manage your WordPress installation and maintain the plugins and updates yourself, continue by clicking Continue with WordPress or choose the optional Managed WordPress for $2.99 per month. With this service, our team at IONOS will install important plugins for you and handle all of the updates.
Also Check: How Much For A Domain Name
How To Install WordPress On Your Second Hostgator Domain
1. Log into your cPanel.
2. Under the Software/Services section, click on the Quick Install icon.
3. In the menu on the left side of the screen, under Popular Installs, click WordPress, then click Install WordPress.
4. Complete the entire form with the following details:
A progress bar will appear at the top of the page to inform you when your WordPress installation is complete. Once its finished, youll be able to access your WordPress site. Be sure to check your email for your new WordPress username and password as well as a working link to your WordPress dashboard .
You can also find your new WordPress credentials by clicking View Credentials in the bar at the top of the page.
Install Link Does Not Work
A 404 or “Site Not Found” error can appear on new WordPress setups when you attempt to view the site after changing it over from another hosting option . In these cases, the site is still resolving to the old Mirror or Redirection A records, rather than the new Fully Hosted A records. Fortunately, this will resolve once DNS propagation completes, assuming that the site is using DreamHosts nameservers. See the following article for further information on DNS propagation:
You May Like: How To Transfer Domain From Wix To Shopify
Run The WordPress Installation
You have successfully completed the primary steps and now you need to press the final button. After this step, you can set up one of the best WordPress blog themes and make your site live on the web.
The last job is to execute the installation script from the installation page. You can find the script using either of the below URLs:
Replace yourdomain.com in the above link by your actual domain link. After this you will be followed by the page saying Welcome to the famous five minute WordPress installation process! and you are done.
When Should You Use A Subdomain On WordPress
Subdomains are separate websites, so you should use a subdomain when you want to offer an experience thats entirely different from your main domain.
Lets look at a few examples of how we use subdomains here at Elementor to illustrate this. Our main site elementor.com is targeted towards regular Elementor users or people who are interested in learning about Elementor, its features, and widgets. Then, we have several subdomains that offer different experiences. Here are a few examples:
- my.elementor.com this is the account dashboard for Elementor customers. Its where you can manage your license, subscription, websites, etc.
- developers.elementor.comthis subdomain is 100% focused on developers who want to work with Elementors code. Its not really relevant for regular Elementor users, which is why it makes sense to exist on its own subdomain.
- careers.elementor.com this is for people who want to work at Elementor. Again, its not really relevant for people who want to use Elementor on their own sites, which is why it gets its own subdomain.
Some other examples of when to use a subdomain could be:
Also Check: Transfer Shopify Domain To Another Host
Is It A Good Idea To Move WordPress Site To New Domain
In our experience, site owners move WordPress site to new domain for very different reasons. Some reasons are good and make the process worth it. But there are also times where its better not to move.
So when is it a good idea?
- Youre rebranding your business. You need to change the domain name of your website because you changed the name of your business.
- Youve been able to purchase a much better domain name. For example, you want to change from a domain.net or a domain.co.uk to a domain.com. Or you found a shorter domain name such as thisismydomain.com to domain.com.
- There are also cases where the current domain name is too expensive to renew. Every year, the name provider increases the price, and its become difficult to afford it.
- You purchased your domain name from one provider and your hosting plan from a different provider. You want to move the domain name to your host to make it easier to manage.
- Youre moving a locally built WordPress site or a development site to the new domain.
When is it a bad idea?
Make the shift if its a good reason and if you think its worth it. In the next sections, youll learn how to migrate wordpress site to new domain so that your websites URL changes while your content remains the same. For example, www.domain.com to www.domain.net or www.domain.com to www.newdomainname.com.
Installing WordPress On Windows Using Wampserver
To install WordPress on Windows, we will utilize WampServer. Here is how to set up WAMP:
Installing WampServer and Creating a Database
Performing the WordPress Install
Once the preparations are all taken care of, proceed to install WordPress by following these steps:
Don’t Miss: What To Do After Buying A Domain
Do Subdomains Affect Seo
Another important consideration for using subdomains is search engine optimization . Because a subdomain is technically a separate site, some users worry that search engines wont pass the main domain names authority to the subdomain.
For example, if you have yoursite.com and blog.yoursite.com, some people worry that the blog wont benefit from the main domain names authority.
, Google can figure things out itself and theres no inherent SEO benefit to either subdomains or subfolders. If you go back even further to Matt Cutts in 2012, he also said the same thing.
Some SEO experts still argue against this and worry that a subdomain wont inherit the full authority from its parent domain, which could negatively impact the rankings of content on the subdomain. Again, Google says that this isnt an issue, but some people still prefer using subfolders for this reason.
However, one important SEO consideration for using subdomains is that youll need to add each subdomain to Google Search Console and each subdomain will have its own reports. Depending on how youre using your subdomains, you might view this as either a positive or a negative.
Additionally, John Mueller says that using subdomains can make it slightly harder for Google to figure out how to crawl your site. However, this isnt usually a problem after the first week or so it just takes Google a few days to make the connection.