Godaddy Vs Squarespace Side
When choosing between Squarespace vs GoDaddy, you have to look into your preferences. Both sites are very simple to use and offer, in my opinion, quite similar website editing.
However, if youre looking for a visually stunning website, go with Squarespace. The templates offered triumph over GoDaddy Squarespace offers beautiful templates for various niches and leads your hand towards a beautifully designed website.
Squarespace is very well-rounded for all kinds of websites. However, their plans are more expensive, and when it comes to additional marketing on social media you need to pay a little extra to get the full package.
GoDaddy, on the other hand, offers simple layouts and you have to make design choices yourself. It isnt as versatile and visually pleasing and focuses more on marketing. Both website builders offer great eCommerce options, but the GoDaddy InSight tool is incredible for beginners.
Coupling this tool with cheaper plan prices and alluring templates for email marketing, GoDaddy is a winner in my heart when it comes to selling online. But that is if youre willing to be obstructed by its limitations.
Now lets see the table comparing both platforms once again:
Connect Your Domain To Square Online
Note: Using a custom domain name requires an upgrade on your Square Online site.
Whether you have a custom domain name registered here at Square or with a third party, you may connect it to Square Online so that anyone searching the domain in a web browser can view your site.
|Prefer managing your website and third-party domain together? Try transferring your domain.|
Note: Transferring a domain moves domain hosting and billing from your current host over to Square. When a domain is transferred, it means you handle everything for your website from one account, including domain hosting and billing. Connecting a domain keeps domain hosting and billing with your current host. When a domain is connected, it means domain hosting and billing are in a separate account from your website.
Interface / Ease Of Use
Shopify and Squarespaces interfaces arent a million miles apart in terms of layout both give you a menu on the left hand side of the screen that you use to get to different parts of the content management system .
The right hand side of the screen can be used to edit content, view data, add products and so on.
On the whole I would say that Squarespaces interface is currently the more elegant of the two, and is a bit easier to use than Shopifys, especially where general content management is concerned.
Its approach to setting up site navigation and its superb layout engine which allows you to drag and drop content into pages in a very user-friendly way make it extremely straightforward to use.
Recommended Reading: Transfer Wix Domain To Shopify
Recommended Reading: Transfer Godaddy Domain To Wix
Requirements And Considerations For Transferring A Domain To Shopify
Before you start, review the following requirements and considerations:
- You need to own the domain that you want to transfer. If you dont own it and its available for registration, then you can buy it.
- Before you can transfer your domain, you need to wait 60 days after registering your domain, transferring your domain to a different domain provider, or making changes to your registrar information. For more information, refer to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers .
- You need to pay the registration fee to renew your domain for an additional 12 months. The 12 months are added to your domains current expiry date.
- There might be additional costs associated with transferring your domain. Contact your domain provider for information about transfer costs.
- You need to have access to your original domain provider account and the email account that you use to log in to it.
- You need to monitor and respond to confirmation emails to complete the transfer process.
- You need to use a third-party email hosting service with email forwarding from Shopify. Shopify doesnt provide email hosting services, but does provide unlimited email forwarding accounts.
- It can take up to 20 days to transfer your domain. Your domain continues working during the transfer process.
Read Also: How To Buy A Domain Name For Free
Overview Of Squarespace Domain Management
Before you transfer, you need to keep in mind some things.
- Once you make the transfer, you cant manage it from Godaddy. The entire domain will be managed only from Squarespace
- Your domain needs to be at least 60 days old. This is not Squarespaces rule but a general condition for domain transfer.
- The domain shouldnt contain Squarespace or SQSP words in it.
- You will have to pay a one-year renewal fee when transferring. These are often referred to as transfer fees but you will get one extra year. So, if your domain expires on March 2021 and you transfer it, you will have to pay the fee and it will add one more year after transferring. So, your expiry date will be March 2022.
- The domain must be in their supported TLDs. Dont worry, Squarespace supports almost all the TLDs.
- The fee depends on the domain. However, the transfer fee starts at $20. For the .com domain name, the charges are $20. You can view the price list here.
Read Also: How Much Does It Cost For A Domain Name
Beginners Doubts And Questions
Now, if you are transferring the domain for the first time, you will have many doubts in your mind. We will clear all the doubts here.
To begin with, the first thing you should know is that its not mandatory to transfer your domain name to Squarespace to use it. You can simply connect it.
However, if you wish to transfer it, you dont need to have to use Squarespaces platform as your hosting. You can use any hosting you want.
Even if you transfer the domain, you will OWN the domain name. Squarespace will just manage the domain name. Therefore, you still have ownership.
Many people have this myth, they think Godaddy or any provider will not let them transfer the domain. However, thats untrue. You can surely transfer the domain anytime you want. If you need any help from their side, they will even help you in completing the process.
Lastly, if you want to transfer a subdomain to Squarespace, its not possible. You can only transfer Top Level Domain to Squarespace.
Connecting Your Squarespace Website To A Third Party Domain
One of the most common questions the Brad Good team receives has to do with connecting a third-party domain to a brand new Squarespace website. While it might seem intimidating at first, we broke down an easy to follow guide on how to do it yourself even if you have no prior experience in this field.
If you purchased a domain from a third-party provider and want to keep it registered with them, you can connect it to your site by following a process called domain mapping. In this process, you’ll change a few settings in your registrar’s account. After completing these steps, your domain will stay registered with the host that you purchased the domain from, but it will connect to your Squarespace site. Before you begin, review Squarespaces requirements for connecting a third-party domain.
Before you begin
Don’t Miss: What To Do After Buying A Domain Name
Things To Know About Manual Connections
Here are a few things you need to know before manually connecting your domain to your Square Online site:
- DNS changes can take 24-48 hours to propagate, so it may take time for your site to start working.
- Square doesnt use TTL values. Whatever your host defaults to should work .
- If you want to use a custom subdomain with Square Online , you can create an additional A record for the subdomain and point it to the provided IP address following the same steps above.
Ease Of Use Testing Both Platforms
- Both builders focus heavily on ease of use theyre extremely comfortable for beginners.
- GoDaddy website builder offers less customization it has a strict grid to follow. The setup process is simple with a few questions you need to answer and it has guides to point the user in the right direction.
- Squarespace offers a variety of website building tools and also has a basic grid system that you need to follow when designing. The setup menu is simple, sleek, and just overall great.
When it comes to choosing a website builder, ease of use is definitely important. After all, a website builder has to make website building go from a complicated process to something anyone could do.
In this section, Ill show the signing up, editing, and building processes.
Lets get it started!
Don’t Miss: How Much For A Domain Name Per Year
How Long Does It Take To Transfer Domain From Godaddy
You wont be able to transfer your domain away if its within 60 days of registration or a previous transfer, or if a 60-day lock was applied after updating domain contact information. Select your domain to access the Domain Settings page. Under Additional Settings, select Transfer domain away from GoDaddy.
Transfer Shopify Domains To Squarespace
Squarespace is a subscription-based Content Management System , that provides website design, eCommerce, and analytics tools. Follow these steps to transfer your Shopify domain into Squarespace.
After the transfer is complete, you will be able to monitor the status of your domain transfers in the Domains section. In the status field, you will see Transfer Pending. Depending on the domain provider, transfers can take anywhere from 24 hours to 15 day to complete.
Squarespace will not accept domains that have been expired for nine years or more. The service provider also does not accept domains with registry premium expiry dates.
Also Check: How To Find The Owner Of A Domain Name
How Do I Transfer A Namecheap Domain Name To Squarespace
If you would like Squarespace to act as your domain registrar, you can transfer it there. While Squarespace supports a lot of different domain name extensions, there are some limits to it. For example, .jp or .au arent supported. Be sure to check this list to see whether your extension is supported.
If your domain name extension is indeed supported, you can follow this detailed step-by-step guide to initiate the transfer.
Transfer Shopify Domains To Godaddy
GoDaddy is a leading platform for web hosting that is used by global entrepreneurs. GoDaddy boasts a large customer base of over 20 million and is growing.
You can transfer your Shopify domains to GoDaddy by following these steps:
Don’t Miss: How Much To Buy A Domain Name
Wix: Transfer Shopify Domains To Wix
Wix, an Israeli software company, offers a top-notch website building and eCommerce platform. Wix has over 180 million users in 190 countries. It offers a variety of professional design tools and management tools that will help you create a beautiful and functional website. Follow these steps to transfer your Shopify domain from Shopify to Wix:
Templates The More The Merrier
- GoDaddy website builder offers 22 templates that are versatile and allow using the same content with a different layout.
- Squarespace offers over 110 templates, which are not a one-size-fits-all and are crafted specifically for different websites.
- Both website builders offer beautiful options, however, the level of functionality between them differs.
A good template is a great starting out point for a user with no design experience.
Lets take a look at how these website builders compare:
The major difference between GoDaddy vs Squarespace is the way templates work.
The templates on GoDaddy are pretty basic and nothing out of the ordinary. You know, theyre… there. And they get the job done. You have the opportunity to choose from 22 templates that mainly differ in the sites layout. They will simply take your existing content, and change the way it looks and behaves.
I do like how easy it is to swap themes and see your content presented afresh. It’s a simple way to edit the website’s style and feel at a press of a button.
Moving on to Squarespace, there are 113 templates to choose from, and different from GoDaddy, theyre very visually diverse. Instead of having different layouts, you’ll be given massive example sites, different in their style, visuals, and even niches.
But, Squarespace did their homework and made the users job easier by dividing the templates into topics to choose from: so you can find the one closest to your business.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does It Cost To Purchase A Domain Name
Assisted Squarespace To Shopify Migration
If the manual method is a bit too technical for your liking, assisted Squarespace to Shopify migration could be a worthwhile alternative.
But, make no mistake about it. Assisted Squarespace to Shopify data transfer is still a human-controlled procedure.
However, unlike the previous method, this one is performed by third parties. Basically, site owners seek assistance from migration professionals or data import tools.
You could, for instance, hire a web development agency to migrate Squarespace to Shopify. Having a team of experienced professionals transferring your store data doesnt sound too bad. Besides, theyre bound to take much less time than you.
On the flip side though, that doesnt come cheap. For all the hours they spend on such projects, professional agencies typically charge hundreds to thousands of dollars per store.
That leaves small businesses with just one other assisted option- leveraging data import tools.
Now, if youve taken the time to research about Squarespace to Shopify migration options, you might have picked up a couple of such apps.
Shopify itself features an app that allows you to upload store entities after downloading them from your Squarespace store. This procedure entails exporting stuff from your Squarespace store to a CSV file, and then re-uploading everything to Shopify.
So, in the end, you might be forced to manually re-enter some of the info, which could take you hours or days.
Dont Miss: Average Domain Name Cost