Submit Domain Name Transfer Request To Hostgator
Once all of the above steps have been completed, you should be ready to transfer your domain name to HostGator.
Please refer to the following article for a list of domains that can be transferred to HostGator along with their respective fees:
How To Transfer A Domain From Godaddy
When a domain is transferred, the nameservers associated with the domain will stay the same . However, since the domain is no longer with the old registrar, the old registrars nameservers will stop responding to queries for your domain. This will cause downtime until you switch your domain to our DNS.
NOTE: If you are using a third-party DNS such as your hosting company, the domain transfer will not cause any downtime issues, because DNS server settings will not change during the transfer.
If you already have your code, log into your account, and click the banner below. If you havent, continue on to step 1 to find out how to unlock your domain.
Please dont forget to disable any GoDaddy privacy protection plan you may have in place for your domain.
How To Ensure Your Transfer Is Uninterrupted
One of the security measures to prevent your domain from being transferred without your consent is a validation email sent to one of the email addresses on your WHOIS information. To ensure that your transfer succeeds without interruption, please be sure to check these email accounts carefully and address any emails regarding your transfer.
Also Check: How Much To Purchase A Domain Name
What Is My Epp Code Or Authorization Key
An EPP code is an authorization key provided by your old registrar and required by your new registrar to complete a registration transfer for a domain name. You must contact the old registrar to obtain this.
If HostGator is your registrar, you can get your EPP code by completing the steps below. The directions are slightly different depending on when and how your domain was registered. Please click the following link to display the steps:
Request Epp Code/authorization Code
Most domain registrars require an EPP code/authorization code in order to transfer a domain name. This provides an extra layer of security and protects the domain against unauthorized transfers.
To request an EPP code/authorization code:
Don’t Miss: Who Owns My Domain
Check Your Domain’s Eligibility For Transfer
You can check whether your domain is eligible for transfer from your Shopify admin. Some domains, such as .ca and .co.uk domains, aren’t eligible for transfer.
If the domain isn’t eligible for transfer, then a banner states that your domain extension isn’t currently supported. Instead, you can connect your third-party domain to Shopify.
How Do I Transfer Domains To Godaddy
Transferring domains to GoDaddy is simple.
You can transfer up to 500 of your domains to GoDaddy at once in our bulk domain transfer tool. If the extension youd like to transfer isnt listed, you cant transfer that domain name to us.
Also Check: Can I Transfer My Domain Name
Change Domain Privacy Information
If you bought domain privacy when you originally purchased your domain on Google, you will need to disable it before you start the transfer process. To prevent any other roadblocks, its probably also a good idea to select the option to Publish your info in the WHOIS directory.
So, simply go to the section that says Privacy Protection and select the radio button next to Privacy Protection Off and then the one to publish your info in the WHOIS directory. Heres a screenshot of what it looks like:
Step 3: Generate an authorization code Next, you need to click on the two arrows in going in a circular motion logo at the top right of the page. This will take you to the registration and transfer out section.
Scroll down to the middle section titled Transfer out. Simply click the button that says Get Authorization Code and a window will pop up like so
Be sure to copy and save this authorization code separately so you dont lose it. Make a text file on your computer or email it to yourself. If you are selling a domain name, you will need to give this authorization code to the buyer.
What To Lookout For How Long Does It Take To Transfer Domain From Bluehost To Godaddy
Automated backups. Googles built-in backup system, known as Backupto, stores data on an array of servers maintained by Google and automatically backs up your site each night. With Google Webmaster Tools, you can set the backup schedule to run at anytime, day or night, depending on your sites traffic. Google also offers other features such as SiteSpot, a content-adding tool and Google Webmaster Central, a central location for requesting tips, articles, suggestions, fixes and upgrades. Siteground is a quick, easy way to get started with Googles webhosting services and is a good place to begin if you have little experience.
Liquid Web and Siteground offer good value for money. Liquid Web has been around for several years, but it recently received an upgrade to include WordPress support and is now priced competitively. Like Googles cloud services, Liquid Web hosts most of your sites files, databases and pages on its own servers. For a slightly higher monthly fee, it offers good value for money and offers a simple set of installation instructions. Siteground offers a basic yet usable web platform and is easy to use. Both of these companies are well worth considering if youre looking for WordPress hosting but need something with better technical support than most free hosts offer.
You May Like: How Much Do Domains Cost Per Year
Troubleshooting A Failed Transfer
This section contains a list of the most common causes for a domain transfer to fail as well as solutions to address those issues. Please click the link below to expand the list of issues and troubleshooting steps:
It is possible for multiple issues to go wrong at the same time. For instance, if the EPP key expires, the domain may become locked again. Be sure to briefly go over the full pre-transfer checklist, request a new EPP key, and include the new EPP key with your request to restart for the fastest possible assistance.
Transfer Your Domain To Siteground
Transferring your domain to the same provider where your website is hosted makes managing your website and all related services such as the domain and the hosting more convenient since it spares you the need to communicate with two separate organizations. When you transfer a domain with any of the most popular top-level extensions , you get one additional year added to your registration. Here is a list of all domain extensions that you can transfer to SiteGround.
You May Like: Transfer Squarespace Domain To Godaddy
Requirements And Considerations For Transferring A Domain To Shopify
Before you start, review the following requirements and considerations:
- You need to own the domain that you want to transfer. If you don’t own it and it’s available for registration, then you can buy it.
- Before you can transfer your domain, you need to wait 60 days after registering your domain, transferring your domain to a different domain provider, or making changes to your registrar information. For more information, refer to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers .
- You need to pay the registration fee to renew your domain for an additional 12 months. The 12 months are added to your domain’s current expiry date.
- There might be additional costs associated with transferring your domain. Contact your domain provider for information about transfer costs.
- You need to have access to your original domain provider account and the email account that you use to log in to it.
- You need to monitor and respond to confirmation emails to complete the transfer process.
- You need to use a third-party email hosting service with email forwarding from Shopify. Shopify doesn’t provide email hosting services, but does provide unlimited email forwarding accounts.
- It can take up to 20 days to transfer your domain. Your domain continues working during the transfer process.
Check Your Transfer Status
Domain transfers will be initiated only after payment has been made. Once the transfer has initialized, be sure to watch for an incoming confirmation letter to the email address listed on the domain WHOIS. The domain transfer should be decided within 7 days from the date listed in the confirmation letter. If the transfer was successful, then the domain’s new information should appear when using a public WHOIS lookup tool.
If your domain is not available to be managed at after successfully being transferred, or if you would like a more detailed information regarding your transfer status, please contact us via phone or Live Chat for assistance.
Also Check: How To Transfer Squarespace Domain To Godaddy
Update Contact Information For Domain
The contact information for your domain needs to be up-to-date so that the EPP code/Authorization Code can be emailed to you. To update your contact information:
Connect Your Domain To Shopify
To avoid any interruption in service, you need to connect your domain to Shopify. If you don’t connect your domain before you transfer it, then visitors to your domain might experience connection errors during the transfer process.
Changes to a domain can take up to 48 hours to complete. Make sure that the connection process is complete before you begin the transfer.
Read Also: How To Find Email Domain And Server
Key Things To Consider When Considering A New Registrar
1. FeaturesEvery registrar offers a suite of features and services, such as privacy protection, web hosting and email. If you don’t have all the features you want with your current registrar, you may wish to take advantage of a better package offered by a different registrar.
In addition to comparing features, it’s also important to look at how the features and services are priced and implemented:
- Price: Do the features you need cost extra or are they included as part of the package?
- Ease of use: Are the features you need easy to implement? Will they require manual effort on your part, or does the registrar offer some simple tools to make things like domain management easier for you?
- Support: Will customer support be available when you need it?
- Provider: Who provides the features they’re selling? Some registrars offer all their own services for email and web hosting, while others partner with third-party providers.
2. PriceLook critically at the price structure of your domain registrar, because each one is different. Some registrars might charge extra fees for services you consider critical, while others may offer the same services at no additional charge. Some may offer a low price for the first year, but then have much higher renewal rates. If your domain registrar is charging you more than you would be charged elsewhere, you may want to look for a less expensive registrar.
Approve The Transfer Of The Domain Name To Hostgator
After a few hours, you should receive an email from GoDaddy confirming your domain transfer request was received. This is a typical security measure. You will need to approve the transfer in your GoDaddy control panel otherwise, your transfer may take up to 7 days to complete.
You will receive an email from HostGator once the transfer is complete. If you have not heard from HostGator after seven days, you may contact us to inquire about your transfer status.
HostGator Website Transfers
HostGator is committed to making it easy to transfer your site to your new hosting account. We can transfer website files, databases, scripts, and one free domain registration transfer.
What qualifies me for a free transfer?
HostGator provides free transfers for new accounts within 30 days of sign-up, and to newly upgraded accounts. For upgraded accounts it must be an inter-server upgrade to qualify. Please note that downgraded accounts do not qualify for free transfers.
Depending on which type of account you sign up for, we offer differing numbers of free transfers. Please refer to the chart below to see what we include for new packages.
Don’t Miss: How To Transfer Squarespace Domain To Godaddy